Metal Halide 250 watts

nmunro

Reefing newb
I recently picked up a metal halide light system with 2 power compact lights in it. It did not come with the ballast for the metal halide. My question is has anybody on here built their own ballast with a diy kit?

Thanks. I read throught the thread and this question came to mind how does this type of ballast compare to the digital ballasts; inlight output, power consumption, and heat dissipation.

icecap are great but very expensive i wish i remembered the link were ccapt gets his from they are super cheap and good quality pm him maybe and he can tell you for shure.

There is very little difference between any of the MH electronic ballasts. You can get a 250w electronic ballast for $80 from BallastWise.
Since you need ballasts, what bulb do you plan on using? There is a huge difference in bulbs. Here's the Performance Results from a bunch of 250w MH bulbs Sanjay tested using an IceCap ballast. You can except similar results with the BallastWise ballast.

You may want to consider using 175's. Look at some of the 250 #'s for PPFD, which is the amount of photosynthetically available light.
For example, a 250w XM 15k bulb has 47 PPFD, while a 175w Iwasaki 15k has 86 PPFD. That's a huge difference in output and electric costs.

The bulb that came with the fixture is a coralife 10k ultra 250 watts. It also has 2 65 watt actinic compacts in it. I purchased this hood at the tent sale at That Pet Place. Lights are new and work. If it is junk please let me know.

I'm assuming those are single ended bulbs? According to the chart I linked to above, those are decent bulbs. The SE are 97 PPFD, but you may not like the color. They will look pretty yellow. The CCT (Correlated Color Temp), which is the actual K temp of the bulb is 8705k. Even with actinic pc's they will still look somewhat yellowish.

This was the 1st year in many years I missed TFP's Anniversary Sale. We had our frag swap at PSU the same weekend.

The reason I got that hood is the guy said I will take $45 for it (it is brand new just no ballast for the MH). I have never used a MH light before. I have always used T-12 lamps and icecap. I learned a lot several years ago from Ron Hunsinger at Ron's Saltwater Heaven(spelling not sure). I am open for your suggestions. This is going to go on to a 65 mostly rock and a large clam with some fish. I am currently downsizing to a 90 and a 65 because I have 300lbs + of live rock and I can't seen to find anybody interested in it.

how much LR do you have to get rid of
im upgrading from a 90 and a 72 to a 175
im in harrisburg
you can PM me if you want

Back