Mexican Turbo Snails

Spivey79

Reefing newb
All my turbos died off in a week (6 each) . So I checked water water, (PH, Nitrite, Amonia, Nitrate, Calcium) PH is low at 7.8, but everything thing else good. Waited a couple weeks and started getting alot of algae, bought 12 more turbos died within 3 days, water conditions the same. Never had a problem with turbos since I started my tank, (4yrs). I've been having problems getting my Ph back up, also a new problem. Any ideas on the culprit?

Are they starving to death? That's a ton of turbos to have in one tank. I imagine they'd run out of food pretty quickly. I don't think you should have more than one or two turbos per 50 gallons.

Are you sure they aren't margarita snails instead?

Double check your salinity.If your using a hydrometer,it could be throwing false readings.If its a refractometer,it could be out of calibration.

Nitrates are actually within the lowest i've ever had under 20ppm, and never had a problem before. Phosphate i don't test, so don't know.

You could also have pyramid snails also, ever had a clam that died mysteriously? They feed on mollusks including turbos.

Are you sure they are Mexican turbos and not Margarita snails?Margaritas are much colder water snails that usually become escargo in reef systems.Mexicans can as well but at a much slower rate.

What about copper,have you ever test for it?Have you ever threated the tank with copper medication or use tapwater.Some tapwater sources do have copper from plumbing or elsewhere.

Back