Reefing newb
quick overview
175 gal bowfront dual overflows
55 gal sump
20 gal fuge (not in sump)

the problem
i was running two mag 5's, 1 to each return
decided i wasnt pumping near as much as i could drain

did some calks and bought a mag 18 for 1 return and a mag 9.5 for the other return
i am definantly not pumping more than i can drain because im not getting the toilet flushing effect

however i am now running so much water thru my sump that as it comes thru the bubble trap it pours into my return section like a waterfall, i think this is where some of the bubbles are coming from

has anyone run into this issue??

sounds like you're simply pushing way too much water through your sump. i would simply use the mag 18 and T it off to both returns.

as for the toilet flushing effect.... that would mean your overflows aren't set up properly (as in dursos or other standard ways of avoiding the syphon effect)

im not getting the toilet flush effect, so im definantly not pushing more water than my drains can handle

i had it set up with just the mag 18, but if you run it on a flow calculator, using a "t" kills your potential flow.

that why i switched to dual pumps

right now im getting actually 10x turnover actually running thru the sump

oh and nathan, your pump prices are all screwed up on your site you better take a look at them

the 10x turnover isn't your DISPLAY volume.... it's your SUMP volume... lol. (and i usually go for a nice 20x... if you think about it that would mean a 30g sump would put 600gph into a display)

you don't create the flow in your tank using your return pump. As for the toilet flushing... i was pointing out that if you DID get that... that's what that would mean.

that happened to me i fixed it with some filter floss i just layed it over the baffle and kept it in place with a couple peices of LR or you could use a plastic cloths pin

the problem can't be fixed with filter floss... there's just TOO much water going through that sump.... give the water a second to sit there and be skimmed or filtered by LR before you shoot it back up.

considering the head height i am running 2100gph through my sump
are telling me that is insane????

in almost two years i have always thought that 10x is for display volume
are you kidding me???

2100gph through a sump.... even a 55g sump.... is in fact ridiculous.

use the mag 18, put a ball valve on it to be able to fine tune the flow.

from melev's reef:

So how does it work specifically?

Water drains from the display tank into the sump container beneath. The water is pushed back up to the tank with a "return" pump, which is either submerged in the sump or run externally (which involves bulkheads and plumbing, but avoids adding as much heat to the water). As the water rises slowly in the display tank, it flows into the overflow box (or chamber), and this drains back into the sump. It is a constant cycle, and the goal is to pump as much as the tank can drain. Most people aim for 10 to 15 times the volume of the tank for total circulation. The sump's return flow would be a portion of that total circulation, maybe 3 to 5 times the total circulation, and the rest is provided with powerheads and/or a closed loop system.

i hear ya nathan
i will re-re-re plumb tomorrow
for a quick fix i put some prefilter sponges on the ends of my returns to kill the bubbles til morning

i have to put my 3 year old vampire child to bed "vampire because she never sleeps"

il chat tomorrow

Last edited:
daugherty, do you calc your turnover based on sump size or DT size???

i base mine off the dt i am running 600gph through my sump. and it is a 50 gal and the filter floss works fine it makes the water run through it and over the baffle insted of crashing over the baffle.

You got that sump a SCREAMIN Zoot.
I'm just running a mag 12 on my tee'd off return.

screamin is an understatement yote
i backed down to just the mag 18 t'd off to both returns
fine tuned it with a ball valve
running good now with no bubbles

thanks all

Back