Microbubble problem, please help!

Dturner

Reefer Madness
I set up my new 120 gallon about a week ago and since I set the tank up I have been having problems with microbubbles and it's driving me insane!

I have a few theories as to where they are coming from, but I don't know what to do to stop them.

First, where the water flows into my corner overflows it creates a waterfall and a ton of bubbles which are getting sucked down into my sump.

I looked at the water going into my filter socks and it's very foamy due to the massive amounts of bubbles.

I have a 3 piece of glass baffle system right before my return section, but apparently that isn't helping as much as I'd like.

What can I do to stop these microbubbles, it's bothering me enormously. If they would stop I would be 100% satisfied with my tank. UGH!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached some pictures so you can get an idea of what is going on.

Thanks.

try putting a sponge in the 3rd baffle. You will have to be pretty meticulous about cleaning it every week once your bio load gets high since it will turn into a place for nitrates to grow. You should also check your pipes/hoses. If one is being stretched or has a tiny hole, you may be getting air in that way especially if you aren't using brand new pipe/hose. Also, are the micro bubbles constant or intermittent? If they are intermittent, you are getting them because your pump sucks up a big bubble and then it splits into thousands of tiny bubble after hitting the impeller. See if you can find that source and put something between it and the pump. That's all I've got!

try putting a sponge in the 3rd baffle. You will have to be pretty meticulous about cleaning it every week once your bio load gets high since it will turn into a place for nitrates to grow. You should also check your pipes/hoses. If one is being stretched or has a tiny hole, you may be getting air in that way especially if you aren't using brand new pipe/hose. Also, are the micro bubbles constant or intermittent? If they are intermittent, you are getting them because your pump sucks up a big bubble and then it splits into thousands of tiny bubble after hitting the impeller. See if you can find that source and put something between it and the pump. That's all I've got!

I will try the sponge idea, it will suck to have to clean it but thats much better than having microbubbles all day, every day. I am using actual pvc pipe which is very well sealed so I can't imagine a hole being in one.

The microbubbles are constant, the last section of my sump which is the return has no bubbles going into it from a waterfall or anything and the water level is constant because of my Auto top off, so I know the microbubbles start with the sump.

Thanks for your help... any other ideas anyone?

If you have no bubbles in the return section of your sump then it has to be in the return lines of you plumbing. Try taking some duct tape and wrapping the joints and seeing if that stops it. THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY FIX! This is a good way to FIND the problem and then you will have to redo that joint. Also look for leaks in your return lines. More than likely, you wont have one but micro bubbles can be a sign of a tiny leak (we are talking a drop ever 10 mins or something. Hope that helps!

Skimmer if you have one are bad for until broke in. A sponge or filter floss will slow the water flow through that area. Skimmer exhaust height is a factor as well, try to have some part of the exhaust pipe exit above the water surface. I have fought this battle for weeks now and I almost have it cured.

Back