Might be making a trip

cms722

Reefing newb
Ok, so I have been thinking for a while now about going back home for 2 weeks or so. Problem is, back home is Delaware and I'm in Texas. So what I'm wondering, is what I can do about my tank while I'm gone as I don't really have anyone that can watch it. There isn't any corals in it yet. And just my maroon clown and a couple snails. So I think other than feeding the clown, the only real problem is making sure that I have water for the sump considering I have to top off with a gallon every so many days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The tank hasn't been going for too long. Could the clown be ok with the sump turned off for that time frame as long as i kept all the powerheads going to keep the water flowing? Just trying to think of options.

Some people only feed their fish once a week or less, I think foodwise he would probably be there if you fed him more for a week or so leading up to being gone(if you could find someone to come by after 1 week to feed/top off you would be golden) your tank being newer would be my only concern for not feeding as often(an established tank could support 1 clown for a while without feeding him manually)

Some people only feed their fish once a week or less, I think foodwise he would probably be there if you fed him more for a week or so leading up to being gone(if you could find someone to come by after 1 week to feed/top off you would be golden) your tank being newer would be my only concern for not feeding as often(an established tank could support 1 clown for a while without feeding him manually)

Yea that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't be going anywhere til August, but I figured if I could figure it all out ahead of time then it would make it easier when I do leave. I feed him every other day as it is and he seems fine and healthy. With him being the only fish in there I don't want to overfeed.

I have experience with leaving my tank alone when on trips. Do a big water change and check out everything DAYS before you leave. Put an ATO and an auto feeder in place. You must have an ATO. If necessary, use a giant water reservoir with the ATO. Most importantly, do NOT touch the tank in the last 2 or 3 days before you leave no matter how tempting it is to tinker with your tank. If you have more time before your trip do a week long test without touching it to be sure it will run itself. If you can't do these things then you will have to find a care taker. (I spend a lot of time in Dewey Beach DE myself).

I have experience with leaving my tank alone when on trips. Do a big water change and check out everything DAYS before you leave. Put an ATO and an auto feeder in place. You must have an ATO. If necessary, use a giant water reservoir with the ATO. Most importantly, do NOT touch the tank in the last 2 or 3 days before you leave no matter how tempting it is to tinker with your tank. If you have more time before your trip do a week long test without touching it to be sure it will run itself. If you can't do these things then you will have to find a care taker. (I spend a lot of time in Dewey Beach DE myself).

What is an ATO?

ATO=AUTO TOP OFF device -- it's hooked up to an rodi reservoir to replanish evaporated water. If you will add one, do it NOW so you have plenty of time to work out any kinks. The last thing you need is for a flood to happen while you're gone. How old is your tank, though? I don't know if you'l be ready for 2 weeks of no food.....not sure. I know Yote only feeds his once a month, IF THAT, but his tanks been up for a long long long long time...plenty of food in there.

And +1 Sen -- do not tinker a few days before leaving.

I think you need to find a kid in the neighborhood who can come in and feed the fish and check things out. Two weeks without food or someone checking in is asking for trouble in such a new tank.

Just premeasure the food so that they cant overfeed or underfeed, and either install and ATO or show them how to top off.

Have them come over and practice several times before you leave under your watchful eye.

I think you need to find a kid in the neighborhood who can come in and feed the fish and check things out. Two weeks without food or someone checking in is asking for trouble in such a new tank.

Just premeasure the food so that they cant overfeed or underfeed, and either install and ATO or show them how to top off.

Have them come over and practice several times before you leave under your watchful eye.

Looks like I just might have to do that. Cuz I don't have the money to do an ATO or anything like that right now. :frustrat:

Try to find someone who is well educated. I had a tank sitter that worked with tanks at a nature center. I'm trying to get my neighbor who is an oceanologist to sit my tank.

Try to find someone who is well educated. I had a tank sitter that worked with tanks at a nature center. I'm trying to get my neighbor who is an oceanologist to sit my tank.

Haha yea if only we all could be so lucky. I don't have anyone around me that is educated like that lol. And unfortunately I live in a military community so most of the people I know will be deploying and gone around the time I am trying to take this trip.

You dont need someone well educated, i left my tiny tank in the hands of someone very well educated and supposably well versed in fish stuff and they still managed to do it in.

Just get some who is can follow directions, on a military base that should be easy. Also look for a kid, they love to do that kind of stuff for a few bucks a day.

measure the amount of evaporation you have over a 1 week period(3 diff times) to get a good average, then rig a script on your computer(that you place near your tank) to open the CD tray after 1 week tipping a bucket of RO water with 3/4 the amount needed(to be safe(lol)) over and refilling the tank. Or well find someone and not kill your tank and computer..your choice.

measure the amount of evaporation you have over a 1 week period(3 diff times) to get a good average, then rig a script on your computer(that you place near your tank) to open the CD tray after 1 week tipping a bucket of RO water with 3/4 the amount needed(to be safe(lol)) over and refilling the tank. Or well find someone and not kill your tank and computer..your choice.

Now THATS something I didn't think of. LMAO. I'll probably just see if I can convince someone to come by an check on it twice a week.

Put a piece of tape where the water line should be. Tell them to fill it w/ rodi until it reaches the line.

I have no problems having young people pet sit. I don't expect them to do water changes. Just top offs and feedings. Premeasure the food, so there's no chance of overfeeding. If it makes you feel better, measure out less food than normal. Make it as dummy proof as possible. My 12 year old neighbor did fine this way. Never lost a fish to a sitter!

Back