mini cycle

mm16

Reefing newb
I am about to set up a 14 gallon bio cube with the extra live rock, live sand and water from my other tank, will I have to worry about a mini cycle?

Thanks

The sand could cause an issue. I just set up a ten gallon with no cycle using old water and rock from the same system. Im adding sand later. Hope this helps.

No no no the sand is the mother load of beneficial bacteria the water has nothing to do with it. with a good amount of established live rock u might never see a spike in ammonia. I setup my seahorse tank in a day with sand and live rock from other tank and it's been like 3 weeks still no spike.

The sand can also be a motherload of detritus and absorbed nitrates. It could go either way. I decided to be safe rather than sorry and add new sand later.

+100 Chichi

The vast majority of bacteria is actually on the rocks. I would add cleaned old sand or new sand the tank after getting the rocks in.

Seahorse.org has a lot of really strange and really bad advice on there. That isnt a place I would turn to for good info. I used to do a lot of reading on there and there are some really crazy people on there.

Back