miracle mud

sumo2001

Reefing newb
hi
just bought a 2nd hand tank with sump and its got miracle mud in it as i`m not setting tank up for a few months what should i do with the mud please?
new to marines only ever kept tropical freswater before
cheers

Welcome to the site, sumo2001!
I too would recommend throwing it out, however if you wish to keep it you could put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead and heater to keep it "live" until you're ready to use it again.

Why, it's a miracle of course!! :lol:

It's a substrate that some people use in their refugium (instead of sand). It releases minerals slowly over time. I have tried it and prefer plain old sand, but some people like it a lot. It's kind of pricey, though.

Do you know how old the Miracle Mud is? I had some that I put in an old bucket and it sat for months (it was winter and getting rid of mud in the winter is difficult here) When spring hit, I pulled the bucket out to clean it and noticed the water smelled fresh. I ran water tests and all my parameters were good. Instead of throwing it out, I replenished it (got a small jar and added it, then stirred it up real good) and it is now doing great in my 'fuge. I would keep it if it isn't smelling and looks ok.

C

It's kind of pricey, though.

KIND OF pricey? :shock: Try VERY pricey LOL I got it when I first started (this was before I knew better -- got talked into it by the LFS owner). There's nothing wrong with it. I actually like it, but that's cuz I already have it LOL It's useful because you only need 1-2" of it, and if your fuge is very small like mine was, it gave me more space for my chaeto. Otherwise, if you use sand, it's recommended that you use 5" of sand for it to be effective.

You do have to replace 20% of it every year, but since I did not use the whole bag, I have enough to last me 2-3 replacements.

But of course, if I had to do it again, I'd have gotten just the plain ole sand :)

Back