Misc items. Need advice.

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, lets start with the good! My Zoas seem to really like my tank. The rock I placed in the DT about 2 weeks ago looks good and everything on it appears healthy. On a rock about 3" below I now have more! About 19 heads from what I can count. I am pleased with this but I do understand they can get out of hand quickly.

My 3 turbo snails have reappeared. Boy have they GROWN! While watching them I noticed an odd critter on the back glass. It kinda resembles a slug with a lighter stripe down the middle. Its about 1/2" wide and roughly 1" long. Its fast too! I'm guessing it came on the coral rock since this is the first time I have seen it. Any ideas as to what it is? I'll get a picture if it shows up again.

I fixed my skimmer/cheato issue! No more clogged skimmer intake. I also upgraded my water change equipment by adding a pump. MUCH easier now and takes 1/2 the time.

Now to the not so good. In less than two weeks my tank looks scummy. Lots of green on the rocks, though the snails seem to be keeping it from getting out of control. Lots of "stuff" on the front and side glass too. Most wipes off with the magnetic float (I'll come back to this) but some doesn't. I'm guessing its Coraline. Not bad, I just don't know how to get it off. Should I buy a scraper of some sort? Any suggestions? I am also getting a little brown on the sand. Not a lot, but its noticeable. I have started rinsing my frozen food, so I hope it will start going away.

Back to the Mag Float. Is there another brand, of the same style, that is any good. This one sucks. Once it get just a little bit dirty it simply sticks to the glass. The soft side barely cleans off the easy stuff AND its starting to peel off. I would have expected it to last longer. The rough side doesn't touch the Coraline or the very green stuff just below the sand's surface.

Water change and tests are due tomorrow. Planning on some new corals on Sunday if everything checks out. Let me know what you think about the scraper and float as well as the algae. I'll take all advice into consideration!

You should be using the rough side of the MagFloat. I have never heard of the soft side being used inside the tank. Get yourself an Easy Blade attachment for the MagFloat. It will be one of the best things you buy for your tank! It makes cleaning coralline off the glass a piece of cake.

Easy Blade (Glass Only)

Get yourself one of these:

The Hammerhead Float - Magnetic Class Cleaner - English

and one of these to go with it:
Easy Blade Algae Scrapers - Black - English

And call it a day. I tried several different types of cheaper mag float to try and save money (as the algae free scrapers are not cheap). After breaking down and buying the algae free for my tank, I couldn't believe how well it worked. Be careful with the magnets though, if you get your finder in between them - you're likely to lose it. They are some SERIOUS magnets.

Thanks folks! I'll take a look at different one in the link. I know about those super strong magnets! My tool displays use them to keep things in place. Small ones like 1/2" x 1/2" are strong enough to hold a 3 lb wrench, tightly, through 3/8" plywood.

You may only need the small algae free scraper, its based on the width of the glass used on the tank. So make sure that when you look at them, you're looking at the proper one

While watching them I noticed an odd critter on the back glass. It kinda resembles a slug with a lighter stripe down the middle. Its about 1/2" wide and roughly 1" long. Its fast too! I'm guessing it came on the coral rock since this is the first time I have seen it. Any ideas as to what it is? I'll get a picture if it shows up again.

When in doubt, pull it out! Sounds like a nudibranch to me, and those little stinkers are hell on wheels when it comes to nomming corals. I know, my plague of nudis decimated my GSP, which was gorgeous and growing until they got ahold of it. Grrrrr....

Back