Missing Jawfish

OurFishies

Reef-aholic
Our jawfish has been moving homes a lot lately (there is plenty of substrate of varying sizes about 4 inches+ thick in places).

Last night I saw him swimming around near the top of the water (it looked like he was poking his head out of the water now and then). He would start at one end of the tank, the flow would take him to the other side, and he would go back to the beginning and do the same thing.

The tank has glass at the top, so I don't think he could have jumped out without my noticing. Today he is nowhere to be found... I fed the tank and he didn't come out. He had had a tear on his back fin awhile back, so I think he may have gotten in a fight with a fish awhile back... but no jawfish. He was my favorite so I am worried. :?

Have you checked all your filters? Powerhead intakes? The inside of your skimmer? It's possible that he could have gotten sucked up into something. Also check around the tank in case he somehow jumped. Do you have cats or dogs that could've eaten him?

If those are all no's, then just sit tight and wait a few days. Hopefully he'll turn up.

We found him. It seems that one of the homes that he had built must have caused the rock it was under to settle down on top of him (he has two under rocks and two homes out in the sand). His back fin is pretty torn up, but he was able to swim pretty well when my husband tried to net him.

We stuck him in a net that you use for baby fish to keep the other fish away from him so that we can see if he is going to make it. He ate, which was a good sign, my husband says it is about 50/50 on whether or not he will make it.

I am going to fill in that hole, hopefully if he makes it he will stick with one of the homes that isn't under a big rock...

Back