montipora and temp spike

scubacane

Reefing newb
My chiller pump malfunctioned on Monday causing a temp spike in my 28 gallon nanocube- from my baseline of 79 degrees F to 87 degrees- not sure how long it was this warm, maybe less than 24 hours. I fixed the problem and gradually lowered the temp back over 6 hours with no apparent damage to any of my corals. This afternoon however when doing a water change I noticed mutiple smaller than pencil eraser white patches scattered on my orange monti cap. It is fairly high up in tank so was probably in the warmest water.The majority of color looks good otherwise, rest of parameters- alk- 8-9, Ca -420,SG 1.025. Could it be from temp spike?- I dont see any nudibranchs and rest of assorted SPS and LPS corals seem ok.

Could be some bleaching,should re-aquire zoanth and be fine -its the ability of the water to hold o2 at those temps that do the damage, the more flow/fractation u have in your tank the higher probablity the tank will survive high temps-

It is probably due to the large temp swing. Unless the whole thing is dead (you said the white patches were scattered), there is a good chance it will recover and be good as new within a couple months.

I think as long as everything else is ok and back to normal it should make its way around. montis are pretty easy (for sps)

Always! -scary quote but true!! the creatures we house have a couple of millions yrs of evo on us who-houses-who??- we are but a speck.

Back