Mont's 56 gallon reef tank!

Since you are making it a reef tank, you do want to be careful in your selection of fish. The 6 line is a good choice. They can get a bit aggressive to new tank mates, so best to put that one in close to last. The dwarf angels are another group of fish that do great in the size tank you have. They are sometimes reef safe and sometimes not, but some feel that it's worth the risk (me included). I have a Flameback Angel that is a model citizen, and several others here have Flame Angels and Coral Beauties that behave themselves as well. You could also do a trio of cardinals. And there are several really neat blennies! Favorites here include the Midas Blenny, Starry Blenny, and Tail Spot Blenny.

Try to avoid dottybacks and basslets, since they will probably pick on your firefish!

Thanks, I was definitely looking at doing a Midas Blenny, I've seen them before and they are just way cool looking. Note taken on the 6 line. I have thought about the smaller angels a ton. I would love one, but I'm worried about them eating corals. Everyone on here though seems to have had them at one point or another. Also on the mind was a mandarin, I know they need to be in a tank that is at least a year or so old? What about shrimp? or crabs? I've seen the sexy shrimp and the Harlequin, and decorator crabs. Do those have special needs?

Unless you can get a mandarine that is trained to eat froze, you need to wait for a year or so that way a natural food source for them (pods) can become established.

Most shrimps are super easy and fun, i recommend a cleaner shrimp because they are the least shy. Sexy shrimp are fun, they they are tiny, about the size of a dime and you need a group of at least 6. Harlequin shrimp will only eat the pod feed of starfish so you will need to buy starfish for them to eat. I think they will eat a big one once a week or so. Decorator crabs are cool, but not really reef safe. I would pass on that one.

Back