moonlights

michelle

Reefing newb
Hey all,

i was offered a set of moonlights for my 33 gallon. So the answer to my question is probably obvious, but, are they for enhanced viewing at night? And would using them cause problems for nocturnal creatures or throw off the regular daytime/nighttime schedule? Are they worth using? They are free afterall:)
Thank you muchly:)

Take them!

High-end lights come with moon lights built in already. The idea is that most of the time, the moon is out at night and casts some amount of light onto coral reefs. Moon lights are also believed to spur coral spawning and reproduction, which reproduce based on the timing of the moon. They aren't for YOUR enhanced viewing at night, but they are to make the nocturnal tank environment more natural for the animals.

biff is exactly right..... its to duplicate nature as close as possible, however its a dual benefit becasue i love falling asleep watching my peppermint shrimps running across the sandbed in the moonlight

Yeah,definitely take them,especially since there free.

I've notice fishes go bullistic when the lights go out and its pitch black.Having a little light so they can find their favorite spot helps.Thats on top of all the great things Biff and Red mentioned.

I admit I like the lights when its pitch black in the front room and only the LED's are on, has a cool blue shimmer all over the rock and down to the sand..

I love my moon lights.But I disagree with them being able to cause corals to spawn,or replecating a natural night time enviroment on the reef.
It takes more then just the moon to cause corals to spawn.You have to factor in the tides,water temp.,time of year,and a host of other circumstances.
As for natural moon light on the reef.The moons not bright enough to give that much light except for about a week a month.I could be wrong(at least thats what my says)but I just dont see a 1/4 moon putting out that much light at 10 or 15 feet and deeper under the surface.Thats just MHO though.

But I still say get em.You've not lived untill you've watched the nocturnal life thats living in your tank.

ill argee with that...... I'm sure its rarely that bright on the reefs at night, though I could be wrong, though there are never 365 days a year that are full brightness like we shine in our tanks either. there are really bad, long storms at times. but hell its the best we can do so go for it!

Back