More questions

nobody

Reefing newb
One is on water changes.

1. I have my RO/DI set up and running. When I mix up the solution I know that I have to let it set for a day or two with a circulation pump and heater. How long will this last before it will be no good to use? I have read a lot about having backup water ready to go but how long can this fresh stay before needing to be used?

2. On feeding. I have a Snowflake Eel and I feed him from a stick. But I also have a pair of Clowns and plan on a few other fish also. How is the best way to feed so they can get the food without too much waste? Do I need to turn off my pumps and power heads? And what are people using and what is recommended for food?

The water will stay good for a long time as long as you have a pump in there. If you arent planning on using it right away, i wouldnt put a heater in there. Saves money and you dont encourage bacteria growth.

I feed my fish with a turkey baster and they just come up the baster when I put in the water. I recommend and feed a variety of different things, just rotate through several different frozen foods. Variety is the spices of life!

Thanks for the answer. I do know variety is best but what are some of the names of these frozen foods? I am a newbie and the LFS is Petco. Some of the sales people have never kept a saltwater tank. Also what should I be getting to feed the corals and others live species?

Petco carries a variety of frozen food for saltwater. It will say on the label if it's for saltwater or freshwater. They carry Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, fortified brine, mysis, krill, daphnia, bloodworms, squid, etc. Most corals don't need feeding; just good lighting. And your inverts will eat whatever the fish miss.

Back