More rock and sand?

Ange

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon tank and what seems to be on the low side for rock and sand. I would like to add to my rock and sand but my question is do I go with live or dead? I think that the tank could use some new life, if you know what I mean, since the trigger I had apparently ate everything he could get his greedy little mouth on.

I did some refugium maintenance a couple of weeks ago and found one larger brittle star and several tiny ones, all of whom I moved up into the tank. My tank occupants are a pair of B&W clowns, a flame angel, a horseshoe crab, two emerald crabs, a red-footed snail and a red starfish. My parameters are all checking out OK and the coraline algae that died in the tank move when I bought it is now growing back all over the back of my tank.

Ok, here's how I look at it:

More rock and sand = greater filtration, more hiding places, a greater seascaping allowance, more places for things to grow, and more numerous micro and macro fauna.

However, more rock and sand = less swimming room, less actual water in your system, more places for nutrients to get trapped, less viewing space, and an increase in the difficulty level of ever catching your fish again. :)

That being said, since your signature says you've been in the hobby since February this year, assuming your tank is reasonably stable at the moment, I'd suggest you go with dead rock/sand. Your existing stuff will seed the new stuff....eventually. This will cost you less both in the short and long term. Also reduces the risk of inheriting any types of pests into your young system.

Adding more of either would also mean you should make sure that you are getting water flow around and behind your rocks to prevent nutrient traps, which can lead to all types of nuisance algae outbreaks. Also be careful about stirring up your existing sandbed or rocks as you may kick off a mini cycle. Be prepared to provide a water change a couple of days after moving things around.

Ok, here's how I look at it:

More rock and sand = greater filtration, more hiding places, a greater seascaping allowance, more places for things to grow, and more numerous micro and macro fauna.

However, more rock and sand = less swimming room, less actual water in your system, more places for nutrients to get trapped, less viewing space, and an increase in the difficulty level of ever catching your fish again. :)

That being said, since your signature says you've been in the hobby since February this year, assuming your tank is reasonably stable at the moment, I'd suggest you go with dead rock/sand. Your existing stuff will seed the new stuff....eventually. This will cost you less both in the short and long term. Also reduces the risk of inheriting any types of pests into your young system.

Adding more of either would also mean you should make sure that you are getting water flow around and behind your rocks to prevent nutrient traps, which can lead to all types of nuisance algae outbreaks. Also be careful about stirring up your existing sandbed or rocks as you may kick off a mini cycle. Be prepared to provide a water change a couple of days after moving things around.
All very good advice and points..except the one...i too was a big believer in th LR being great natural filtration..i think it does something,just not as much as alot of us thought it did..
Live Rock As A Biological Filter: Hit or Myth? by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.. - Reefkeeping.com

Back