Mounting Frag Plugs.

Supraz

Reefing newb
I was just wondering what everyone does with their frag pegs? I have a few that are just sitting on the sand atm and a couple that i wedged into some live rock. The peices that are wedged into the LR get knocked over occasionaly and its become a bit of an annoyance. I was thinking about using some epoxy and sticking the plugs to the actual LR. Is that what most people here do? If so what do you do about that "leg" on the underside?

I just wedge mine in the rocks. They have to be really in there, though, because my trigger likes to "redecorate".

It depends on what type of plug I've got. If I have a "tile" and not a plug I use Superglue Gel....If I have a plug with a stump on the end, I use the reef epoxy.

I glue them, wedge them or anything else I can do to keep them off the sand. I like to keep my sand as free of clutter as possible.

Anyone tried to break the plugs (stumps) off the bottom to make it a tile? I think it would be alot easier to attach it as a tile.

Just snip them off with a tool..I use a pair of wire cutters...Make sure you clean the tool after use because it will rust in about 30 minutes.

drilling a hole in the rock also limits where you can put the plugs
plus drilling live rock is annoying
i say wedge um in or glue them down
back when i got my first bit of coral, zoa, it fell off its plug so i thought to just superglue it to a live rock and all but 1 arm died and than 1 morning i looked in my tank and it took hold not to far from where i glued it which was cool

I ended up using some wire cutters to break off the legs/stumps. Worked like a charm and didnt require much force. Thanks!

I had this same problem...I wedged them into the rock. Though it limited a couple things to my second choice of spot for them. I may go back and cut off the stump part. I was too eager to get them in the tank to think of doing that.

This might sound like a stupid question, but how do you glue the frag to the live rock?

When you use epoxy or super glue ... do you have the frag outside the tank, then put some glue on the bottom, then put it in your tank at the desired spot? That simple?

This might sound like a stupid question, but how do you glue the frag to the live rock?

When you use epoxy or super glue ... do you have the frag outside the tank, then put some glue on the bottom, then put it in your tank at the desired spot? That simple?

I'll usually let the glue harden a little before I put it back in the water then just hold it in place for 30-60 seconds till it starts to set.

Back