Moving a fish tank - coralline

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I will be moving my 55 gal reef tank in 3 weeks. I have moved this tank before and all faired well except my coralline growing on the tank walls. My question is has anyone come up with a way to transport an empty tank a short distance without killing the coralline?

I can't think of a good way; it needs to stay wet. Once it's exposed to air, it dies off, even if only for a short time. Maybe soak some paper towels in tank water and somehow stick them to the sides to keep the coralline wet? But even then, just them drying out while you drain the tank is enough to kill it. Maybe someone else will come up with a strategy for you.

Put the paper towels on before you drain it?

Or a real bath towel. After you remove the rock and live stock ofcourse. Try some clothes pins or those strong black paper clips at the top and then when you drain the tank the towel should lay against the glass. Never tried it but dont see why it wouldnt work.

Dont know.:question:

dont think you will have a lot of luck saving the coraline, the wet towel might work but i doubt it. I lost all my Coraline on the glass when i moved bit its coming back fast.

same thing happened here its been not even a month and the corraline is already comeing back. i say let it go, itll give you something to be excited about later on!

beware of the mini cycle when all the crap in your sandbed gets disturbed on the ride across town...ew

Back