Moving molting hermit crab

bugen4

Reefing newb
Hey guys! A concern I have about one of my saltwater hermit crabs.

I noticed that it is in the begining stages of molting (kinda hanging out of its shell a bit, pale skin and cloudy eyes). Like most people I at first thought he was dead but saw that he was twitching every now and then.

Unfortunatly, he put himself in a postition that kind of makes him a bit vunerable, out on top of a rock in the open. I only have a few fish in the tank (non-aggresive) but several invertabrates and usually everyone leaves everyone else alone.

Except for one emerald crab who goes around bossing anything that's in his way. I got scared when he started crawling over to the molting hermit crab and started picking at him. I quickly got in there and shooed him away.

I really needed to isolate him so that he can continue his molting uninterruped. However, I had to move him off the rock and onto the substrate sand so that I could place a small container around him so no one else would bother him (I also placed a larger shell next to him incase he wanted to move when he was finished).

So my question is was moving him a bad thing to do? Of course I really see no other way around it because I dont want him to get picked off by the crab.

Any help is appreciated =)

Back