Moving... tank help!

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
alright, soooo I'm moving!!! AHH! now the rents said i can get another tank, but a bigger one for my new room... the question is, what is the best way to move tanks? I don't want to mess up my contest entry so that one is going to be just a quick simple move, but my DT is the one i'm worried about. I have all those corals in there and all the critters so i'm thinking this:

would it be alright to get the other tank already going (we have the keys to the house and hsould be moved in within 3 weeks) and then slowly add my LR to it? and will my corals be able to handle the switch? i'm thinking of a 75 gl (hehe jsut getting all of em now) which means i will need more LS and all that jazz... I'm super stoked about this move because my parents have given me a WHOLE ROOM dedicated to just my fish supplies :D my own sink and everything with a RODI unit already installed :D its pretty bomb...

but yea, i know to bag everybody up and re-acclimate but it was the whole move in general i was wondering about. will it start a whole new cycle if i addeda bout 40lbs more LS?

I would set the tank up ASAP, put some of your live rock in from your DT to help the cycle along, and take your old tank water from a water change to fill it up partially. That should quicken the cycle.

Only moved a tank across the room once and that was after it had crashed for other reasons.

yea, set up the new one, do some water changes on the existing system, and put that "old" water into the new tank, along with some of your LR and some LS.. that way you have a starter culture in that new tank...

then from there, watch for the cycle....

congrats on the room, i thought me getting a closet was awesome, but you got the sink in the deal too!!!

I may be an exception but I didn't have much choice and trying to move all your tank stuff at 3am in the morning isn't easy. I loaded all my corals (not bagged) into a rubber maid and all my fish, hermits, snails into a cooler with wheels (not bagged) and lugged it all over the place and everything survived. Stuff was smashing all around in there and luckily nothing was hurt and all corals opened up by the next morning.

yea, when i got my tank it was a move situation, and i just got brute trash cans, pot all the lr in one, and covered it with water from the tank.

Then all the livestock went into my coleman cooler with a battery operated bubbler...

the sand went into 5 gallon buckets, and it all went into the bed of the truck, hauled it 2 hours to my house, and commenced to setting it up...

i was frazzeled and nervous as hell, but it all worked out perfectly... nothing died, well, except the mistery animone...

lol well i'm happy to move, this place is not a raised platform so my dad doesn't have to crawl under the house to build beams to support the weight of the tanks anymore :) which is why i'm getting a bigger one lol. the little 10gs i'm not worried about, i'm just gonna empty the water halfway, lay all the rocks down and put the fish in bags for the 5 min ride lol. I think that should be cool?

Back