Moving tanks

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
So, its official. ill be moving for the first time in 4 years. not exactly excited about it but hopefully its for the better. Im not leaving town just different house. Now my open discussion topic: TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MOVING TANKS.

I will be moving the 80 and 180 and its going to be a giant pain in the ass! lets keep our fingers crossed that i dont lose any livestock in the move. I would be really bummed. Now about 3-5 months ago i successfully moved the 180 to my house fully set up and everything and the main display piece, my beautiful vlamingi Jack survived unharmed. a little stressed but unharmed. if i can do it once i can do it a million times right? :frustrat:

Anybody that has also done this themselves that have some really good ideas or tips please let me know. I have a good handle on it. the major pain in the ass is re piping the pvc in a timely fashon but it can be done. so any good words people have for me please shoot them this way. I will be moving within a month! I guess one question. I would like to rid my bio balls, but if i just removed them in the move i would undoubtedly cause a small cycle right? just making sure im right in not making that mistake.

well all i can say is Buy lots of beer for friends.
You did it once so it shouldnt be bad this time,
Gets lots of trashcans and rubbermade tubs.

Is tis a house or appt you wull be moving into,
Rental? or yours?
what i am getting at is there gonna be a Fish room and an inwall 180?

Good luck bro~ wish I could help.

Good luck with it.
If you put in unions when you plumbed it,then you shouldnt have much trouble at all.If not,put them in when you set it back up.
On those bio-balls,just take out half now,and the other half in a couple of weeks.That should keep you from having a cycle.

yote what are unions? im not familiar with that? its all just pvc pipe and i have to saw the pipes in half to seperate the standa and tank. last time we used some slip couplers and pvc glued them back together. worked fine, just a pain in the ass.

Lionfish...... no in wall yet. not sure if i would do this on in wall with this tank. i think if i wanted an in wall it would wanna set it up at a spot where i could view it from both sides of the wall and this one is a no go due to the overflow down the middle of the back of the tank and painted back. I am working on buying a house within the next 6 months.... but for now i need to get out of my place and my cousin is going to put me up in a master bedroom for 100 dollars less than i am paying right now until i get my house. I could go straight into the house thing, but im really trying to take my time on it so i make sure i have exactly what i want instead of rush into it

Unions are just couplings that glue to 2 seperate pieces of PVC,then you tighten the nut in the center to connect the 2 pieces.
Aquarium Plumbing: Union Connectors
Using them will make it easier to re-plumb and if you need to move it again it'll be easier to take the plumbing loose.

i will cross my fingers for you. Wish I could help...well, not really, but it sounds good as a polite statement.

make your water a few days before and if you are wanting to lose the bioballs, start curing the live rock for the new tank now. good luck

-Doc

so its now damn near 3am. just got done making 70 gallons of saltwater. ugh. I wake up in 5 hours for some pvc fittings and then the fun starts about 10:00 180gal move across town. all other tanks have been moved.... but this tank is my baby and in super super stressed about it..... did I mention I was stressed? so wish me luck guys because in less than 12 hours my 180 gal will be setup and running in a new location.

well all is accounted for except my sixline guess its like last time and he hid in a rock and will come out later. ugh. what a day. my back is killing me

yep that's what I ment.... I was too out of it to type right. the rubbin was pretty non existant. the girlfriend was really sick so not feelin up to much. but had plenty of beer and pizza. the sixline came out so it looks like the biggest loss is potentially a turbo... not sure if he is dead or not tho. I was hoping I could kill a kenya or 2 but I know that's next to impossible haha.

fishbait, I'm looking for a house. my realator is a good family friend so she is a bit slow with me. but I needed to get out of where I was by end of month so I moved in with my cousin at his house temporarily .... yep that means ill be moving it again this year. woo hoo!

i have moved a tank before and it is a pain :mad!!: make sure you have PLENTY BEER AND WINGS that is the most important

either do the tank first or last (i Prefer last)

1. get plenty plastic trash cans like they sell at home depot
2. have plenty powerheads so you can keep the water moviing if you are going to have the cans sitting for a long period of time.
3. take some water out first and put some rock in that trash can
4. take some more water and another trash can for the fish
5. some more water for the corals and inverts
6. the rest of hte water andd the sand
7. cover the tank with plastic wrap and the cans with the tops and get to moving
8. set up tank and do list in reverse order

Back