Moving

AdamC

Reefing newb
I will be moving in the next week and I have a 75 gallon reef tank.

I just bought a 150 gallon tank that I am trying to get set up at the new location to transfer everything to from my 75 gallons but I have some concerns about whether or not it will go through a cycle???

Heres the low down:
150 gallon- brand new sand as well as pretty much new water. I am going to take as much water as possible from my existing tank and put it in the 150.

Then when I move I will move all existing liverock to the new tank. I am going to run the 75 gallon with existing water for my corals for a couple of weeks just in case the tank goes through a cycle.

I am just concerned on whether or not I will go through a full cycle, mini cycles... Im scared I will lose everything if I transfer to new tank.

I didn't think I would really would go through a cycle sense I would be using existing live rock from my tank but people have told me differently

But be prepared for water changes just in case.

Keep the LR wet with towels or newspapers and if possible, completely submerged.

You very well could go through a cycle, so just be vigilant. I lost a clam and a few small frags when I moved a few months ago.

Yeah I'm worried about my anemone and clam.

My main concern is the size of the new tank verse the old as it is now double the size.

THanks for the replies

I just bought and moved a small tank to my house earlier this week. I kept the fish and corals with a piece of rock in a bucket w/ a powerhead and heater for a few days while I made sure that the tank didn't go through a cycle after the move. I'd suggest putting your nem, clam, and fish in a large rubbermade tub for a few days with a light, heater and powerheads and few pieces of live rock and then move rest of the rock into the 150 and test it for a few days to make sure all is good before adding everything back in.

Are you adding any new rock? That would be my main concern. The amount of rock in the 75 will not be enough for the 150 long term, unless you have a bunch of extra rock in the 75. Since you are able to watch it a few days without transferring everything, you should be in pretty good shape. Are you transferring any fish? Their bioload may make things a bit trickier.

I went from a 60 to a 125 new sand and about 50g of the old water and the rest was new water and all made it through the change. I didn't have any nems or corals though. I've added bits of live rock and base rock here and there since still wit hno problems.

I have done this numerous times with no casualties even anemones. Using new sand is a big factor for success. Using your existing live rock and some of your old water also helps. I have never experienced any cycles doing it that way. Keep that live rock wet and you should be fine.

Back