Mp10

charmon09

Reefing newb
couldnt help my self had to pick up this MP10. it is a little undersized for my 65 but for the price i had to get it. anybody have any tips on using them?

Generally they work best in pairs. They make some SERIOUS flow though, no doubt about that. I have a MP40 in my 180, I'm putting money aside each check for another, though I may go with a MP60 on the other side

I use the reef crest mode, I can't believe how all the critters in the tank responded to some healthy, random flow

There some videos on the ecotech website that help with setup.
Great pumps, you won't be disappointed.
Even as a single pump, they push and pull really well (rather than just push) so you don't even really need a pair opposite each other unless your tank is too long for a single one. I have an mp10 in my 6g Fluval Edge. :mrgreen: It's not even turned up half way.

I would like to get one eventually. I sort of wish they made a smaller one because I will have to dial it down a lot for my 29g....especially if I leave the 750gph Hydor I have in there now in....but it would be nice because I an adjust the flow evenly and I've heard great things about its different modes where it creates a more random wave-like current instead of constant current which will inevitably end up with some dead spots.

I've done the research but it's a big investment without knowing a few things...

Would it be ok to also have the 750gph Hydor? If I didn't have that, I don't see how the surface would get enough agitation?
What settings would one use for a standard 29g? I was thinking reef crest mode at about 75% power with it dialed down 50% at night.
Could it be placed on the back wall of the aquarium or would the best place always be one end or the other?

It's really hard to have too much flow in this hobby.
Settings are up to you. Try different ones and see how corals and fish respond.
If you have only one, the best spot is on the side glass, so it's shooting across the tank.
You can also play with this flow calculator. :)
EcoTech Marine Flow Calculator

reef crest mode works great but i have been leaving it on lagoon mode because my tank is mainly soft corals and LPS. they dont lake getting battered with all of that changing current. the lagoon mode changes enough to keep all the dead spots out of my tank. after just a day of running i can already see improvement. much better that the static flow of regular pumps.

Back