Multiple filters

mbrem

Reefing newb
We just got a 120 or so gallon aquarium. European aquariums are done in liters, so not totally sure on the exact amount of gallons, if they rounded up or down from the decimal and what not. It's filter was broken so we need to replace it. I just saw another forum where people were talking about getting multiple filters to add up to the total gallon amount or more. I would prefer to filter more than the bare minimum, so if this is safe to do, I'd like to go that route. Please help me out here, can I do multiple filters, what are recommended affordable filters.

The best filtration for saltwater tanks is live rock and live sand. The rule of thumb is 1lbs of rock per gallon. The added water volume comes from adding a sump/refugium to your set-up. There are lots of info on the site that'll show you how they're done. :)

So, just to make sure we're clear, because all the research I've done has mentioned filters. Live sand, live rock, and a good protein skimmer but no other actual filter? What exactly is a protein skimmer? Do you recommend any particular brand? Preferably available off Amazon, since the European brands and American brands aren't always the same.

So confusing and vastly different from fresh water :frustrat:

How bout this lol
Tell me EVERYTHING I need to know to get this started up and going. I'm in no rush to add fish and what not because it's 100 gallons so I know I have to buy a LOT of rock for that. which will take time, plus, we're in Europe so getting enough equipment and chemicals stocked up so I know I won't run out in the event the post shuts down will take time too. Basically, what all should I get equipment wise and chemical wise before I get any rock or sand.
Also, I have a lot of experience with fresh and even brackish water aquariums, so would it just be easier and safer for fish and my sanity if I stuck to that while here and then went the salt water route once we're stateside again in 3 years?

Also, I can't find anything that gives a ratio of how much sand for the tank. This is all much more of a science than I'm used to. I really want to do the reef aquarium because it's something my husband and I have both wanted for awhile, and when we happened upon this tank we knew we just had to get it and that it was time. So, it's a 100 gallon tank, how many pounds of sand and how many pounds of rock should I go for. Also, just looked into protein skimmers, is coralife a good brand? Sorry for all the questions, but the more research I do, the more confused I get! Plus, my brain is gone for field training right now, so I can't ask him to dig through everything and simplify it for me.

for sand it is 1-1.5lbs per gallon

I agree with smitty for the skimmer. A good quality skimmer will help dramatically. I also use a U.V. sanitizer also.

90% of your filtration should come from bio filtration. Rocks, sand, bio balls, sponge filters, etc.

mechanical filtration is skimmers, U.V. sanitizers, algae scrubbers.

Chemical filtration is carbon, GFO, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
A skimmer basically gets poop and uneaten food out of the water column before they break down into ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. With filters that usually go with freshwater, the gunk stays in the water column. So if you don't clean them regularly, those filters become nitrate factories unless you clean them regularly. However, if you have a canister filter, they are great to have for running carbon in a pinch. But no need to have them hooked up all the time.

As for sand, while most use the 1-2 lbs per gallon rule, I actually do the "what do I think looks good" route :) I like just enough sand to cover the glass bottom. Some like 1-2". Really depends on preference.

And you don't need to buy all live rock...that'll be expensive as heck. Buy mostly dry/base rocks and then a few pieces of live rock to seed the dry pieces. They'll become live in no time.

Back