My 110G tell me what you think of it.............

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, this is my 1st post, I have a 110G that I got for free with the stand & about 80-90lb of live rock that I got some of that for free as well:grin: , 2 AquaClear 110 HOB filters got for free, I did pay for the rest a eshopps HOB protein skimmer & 2 koralia evolution 1400 power heads.So this is my stock list:

1 Bicolor Angelfish Small

1 Flame Angelfish Medium

The Angels are getting along I got them together at the same time.

1 Yellow Tang Medium

1 Clarkii Clownfish (I got for Free, but I want to get rid of him, he is bulling all the clownfish)

1 Blue Hippo Tang Large (I got for Free)

4 Percula Clownfish (2 I got for Free)

6 Green Chromis

10 Dwarf White Leg Hermit Crabs
10 Blueleg Hermit Crab
3 Emerald Crabs
1 Brittle Starfish
1 Sand Sifting Starfish
1 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Mexican Turbo Snail
10 Turbo/Astrea Snail
3 Cleaner Clam
10 Nassarius Snail

Am I at my Max for the size of my tank???

So tell me that you think of the setup I have, the thing is I will like to get 3 more fish:

1 Gold Rim Tang
2 Firefish Goby

And I think I need to add more Invertebrates in general,

Thanks for the help. :grin:

You may have issues mixing clowns, though your tank is larger. I'd keep a watch over the clowns to see if they fight. Someone will chime in on the tangs and others though the tank is big enough im not sure about the stock capacity for multiple larger ones.

first .. welcome to the site.. and yes I would say your at about max for the tank. I actually would see about getting a little more live rock for filtration.. I personally would not use the hob filters and stick with the skimmer and look into making a sump with refugium for the tank.. and why can I never find deals like that ..lol.. hippo you may want to find a home for down the road seeing they get large..

Need to move to NY or get friends like yours, all that stuff free. That's awesome seems like your on the upper scale of your stock limit. But I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

-Owen

I think you're going to have issues with the clowns. Different types of clowns don't mix well. And a majority of the time when clowns hit sexual maturity they will kill the weaker in the group till you only have 2 left.

Hello and Welcome!

I would say you are over your limit by several fish, especially with a new tank. For saltwater tanks you really dont want more than one small fish for every 10 gallons. I would pick the 11 that you love, and get rid of the rest. I would suggest that you get yourself down to just 2 clowns because they often will fight between each other until there are only 2 left.

I would highly suggest adding more rock, you want around 1-2 lbs per gallon. I also think you are going to need some more flow in your tank. You want around 40x per hour. I would also get rid of the HOB filters. Unless you are cleaning them every 3 or 4 days its going to cause you more trouble than they are worth by releasing nitrates back into the water column.

You could add several more snails, especially if you having algae issues.

But, you should put a build thread! I would love to see your tank!

Thanks for all the replays, so the free thing that I have going on is like this, I got the tank, stand & 2 AquaClear 110 HOB, 1 AquaClear 70 HOB filters from my sister-in-law for free, all of my live rock I got from craigslist (all nice good live rock) from 3 different people, with the first 2 I did pay for the live rock but the 3rd guy from craigslist did not have time to take care of his tank which was a 36G tall, so he was giving all the live rock 30lb & his fish, a 1 Hippo, 2 Percula Clownfish,1 Clarkii Clownfish & one crab for free I was the lucky guy out of 100 email he got about the add, I defiantly want to get the Clarkii out he is not a nice guy & 2 Percula Clownfish, my wife wants a Gold Rim Tang, what to do?:question:

here is a list that might help..
4 chromis
1 bicolor
1 flame angel
2 percula clowns
1 yellow tang
1 gold rim
the blue hippo should go anyway will get to big for that tank..
should be good with that list.. not sure it will help you but I tried lol

just make sure to get that extra liverock in .. I would suggest another 100 pounds or so.. if you are not looking for hitchikers on the rock could go dry rock will save you money or go with base rock..
Dry Rock

So you think I need to have more then 110lb of live rock? from what I know its 1lb per gallon I think I have 80-90lb of live rock now.

Thanks for the help marcah, & your list looks good, its hard to cach the Clarkii:frustrat:

The general rule for rock is 1-2 lbs. per gallon but, the more you have the more surface area there is for filtration purposes.

you could get away with another 50 but seeing it is your bio filter and even with that narrowed list you will still be a bit over.. a little extra bio wouldnt hurt..if you go with dry rock and get 50 pds it will be closer to 60 to 65 pounds once it begins to hold water.. dry rock gains 20% or so with water weight.so that would put you at around 150 pounds or so..100 pounds of dry rock would be around 120 pounds giving you 210 pounds or so.. IMO 170 pounds or better total would be better..

Last edited:
All the Live Rock I have was from established tanks, so they are full of life, I have this green, red & coralline algae all over them, I guess ill get more.

it would definately benefit you in the long run...:D
what about lighting? are you wanting to do corals down the road or just FOWL?
and one more koralia 1400 wouldnt hurt.. boy do I remmeber these costs getting these up and running... but so worth it once its done..:D

So I got from craigslist for $100 a Coralife 48'' Power Compact with 4/65W fluorescent and 4 lunar LEDS, & yes I will like to get into some corals but nor before I get an RO/D unit, I got to talk to the wife about that:grumble::twocents:

Back