My 180 Gallon UpGrade

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
Ok, so you said if I didn't post pictures, it didn't happen!

We went and got the tank a couple nights ago from a retired Biology Teacher who had it in his classroom for the last 5 years or so.

It's not pretty right now, I need to work my magic on it and clean it up. I can't really complain because I paid $200 for it...(Granted, I sold my Cricut Expressions for it) But here it is because you told me I had to :D

155267_10150336276750438_503825437_15874875_2669931_n.jpg

It's 6ftx2ftx2ft ... and sitting in our Polebarn/My Photography Studio in the making. It'll be there until my Dad gets time to build the stand...(hopefully he'll start on it in the next week or so)

75704_10150336276850438_503825437_15874878_1991631_n.jpg

151056_10150336276980438_503825437_15874879_3041286_n.jpg

And the sticker on the other side of the tank (you can't see it) says it was made in Saginaw, MI (which my husband thought was cool because he's all about buying locally...)

This is my Stand Design.

It will be made out of Oak and stained a dark black ebony color to match the rest of our living room.

75762_10150336291570438_503825437_15875111_6126088_n.jpg

Looks good, I like the idea of having some space on the sides of the tank, it will make cleaning a lot easier. Are you going to leave the lights showing? It could look really cool if done right but, sometimes when I'm looking at my tank I wish there wasn't so much light escaping between the tank and lights it can take away from the tank sometimes, JMO.

No, the lights won't be showing. I just added that yellow to show there were lights. They'll be tucked up under the overhang. There'll also be a plug-in incorporated up there under the overhang as well.

The on each side of the tank will be big enough for my husbands hand in a fist. My hands are small, but he'll be doing the cleaning ;) hahah.

Just a thought....I would build the CD/Bookshelves to go to the sides of the tank, so that there is no gap. But I would hinge them so that they could swing out of the way for cleaning..... I''d do the same at the top if there is a gap. Otherwise, I think it'll look like you bought the wrong size tank for the opening. It would be easy to do, and would look badass.

Just a thought....I would build the CD/Bookshelves to go to the sides of the tank, so that there is no gap. But I would hinge them so that they could swing out of the way for cleaning..... I''d do the same at the top if there is a gap. Otherwise, I think it'll look like you bought the wrong size tank for the opening. It would be easy to do, and would look badass.

That's actually a really good idea. :D I'll have to tell that to my Dad... Thanks :Cheers:

looking great. And im completely jealous, about to get all the money together to buy a 5ft.. otherwise I would have 8ft right now hahaha if i could find space for it

I have my 55 gallon sump up and running with a Kent Marine Nautalus TE Skimmer and a bunch of stuff in my Refuge... I got a Refuge Pack from Reefcleaners.org. I currently just have 48" HO T5 Lighting, and will be adding more as soon as I get my bills paid for Christmas.

I am still waiting on the stand to be finished... hopefully by Christmas!

But, in the meantime, I have prepared my Fish List for you all to give me pointers on and tell me if I should add some, take some out, or what I should substitute instead.

Here goes for my 180:

1 Scopas Tang (I already have him...he was $10 from my LFS, someone brought him in and didn't want him anymore because he kept getting picked on, he's the only fish in my 55 right now)

1 Kole Tang
1 Male Lyretail Anthias
2 Female Lyretail Anthias
2 Ocellaris Clown Fish
5 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Midas Blenny
1 Blue Throat Trigger
2 Fire Fish
2 Kauderns Cardinals

Too many? Not enough? What would you do?

I dont think that is too many fish by any means- most of them are pretty small fish. I also have a 180 and I'm working on finishing out my stock list

I'll probably pick a couple of other fish then... maybe...

So, in what order would you guys add those? I plan on doing one big order from LiveAquaria after my tank gets done and all set up.

I wouldn't add them all at once. You could crash your tank. I'd add about 2 at a time. I know that sucks if you plan to order them online, though. :(

A good rule of thumb to follow is to add the most aggressive ones last. So clowns/tang/trigger at the end.

I wouldn't add them all at once. You could crash your tank. I'd add about 2 at a time. I know that sucks if you plan to order them online, though. :(

A good rule of thumb to follow is to add the most aggressive ones last. So clowns/tang/trigger at the end.

Ya know, I thought about that after I posted it... lol

The shipping rates suck online. My Scopas Tang should be alright if I get the Chromis and stuff, first, right? He's pretty docile.

K...

Dad picked up the wood to build the stand...and why on earth did I volunteer to sand it all?!

We have 180 lbs of Aragonite, sugar sized... and what a chore it was to find all that. PetSmart was the cheapest, but they only carried 2 30 lb bags at a time. But I got sale prices for all of it... at $14.99 a bag instead of $22.00! (Incase you're wondering, I have crushed coral now and will be ditching that)

We have our 55 gallon sump built, with a 12 gallon fuge on one end.

We have a Nautilus TE Protein Skimmer rated for 300 Gallons. Works amazingly right now.

We're also building an algae scrubber tonight... and that will be going over the fuge. We'll see how this works.

We're also ordering an RO/DI unit after the Holidays and the tank is set up, and when we do water changes, we'll be using RO/DI water, and slowly, the water in the tank will become RO/DI (can't afford it right now... :( )

I'm still looking for some extra lighting, I only have a 48" T5 HO light right now, and will probably be adding another set just like the ones I have. Any suggestions for something else... a little budget friendly?

And my water Parms are amazing...surprisingly, because I'm using well-water. I test every Friday. My pH stays right around 8.2-8.3, my Nitrites, Nitrates, and Ammonia are all 0.

Here you go. You asked for them, so here they are!

IMG_2958.jpg

My Dad made mini I-Beams, copying those that are under newly built houses...

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

Doors for the front are on the way. And so is a panel for the end. I couldn't wait any longer to set it up!

IMG_2967.jpg

The top of the stand.

IMG_2976.jpg

My best friends boyfriend, Sean, on the left, and my brother, Eli, on the right putting the sump in.

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

My husband, Axel, and Sean carrying the Beast in side.

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

Filling with sand

IMG_3002.jpg

Slowly but surely filling it up with High Quality H20.

IMG_3004.jpg

And my highly skilled engineering job on my T-5's for temporary. I have some 6 ft. MH's coming my way :D

Back