My 46g Bow Front Tank by Sakura2282

You're right, the fish were very cheap, but I didn't ask them to feed them before I bought them. I must say that was my rookie mistake and this Petco here doesn't do refunds on livestock. I wonder why? :grumble:

Their policy says they don't. But, if your water params are good, and you let them test it, if you talk to the store manager, they'll usually work with you a bit and give you at least store credit. I'm friends with the three petco store managers around me, so maybe I just get lucky cause of that. :p

Their policy says they don't. But, if your water params are good, and you let them test it, if you talk to the store manager, they'll usually work with you a bit and give you at least store credit. I'm friends with the three petco store managers around me, so maybe I just get lucky cause of that. :p

I do believe you get lucky thanks to your friendship with the store managers lol.

I applied at the Petco here in Minot because most places are paying 15-18 per hour due to the oil

They immediately sent me an email saying I wasn't qualified lol...if they only knew, they would have the best saltwater display in the nation for a Petco

Last edited:
I applied at the Petco here in Minot because most places are paying 15-18 per hour due to the oil

They immediately sent me an email saying I wasn't qualified lol...if they only knew, they would have the best saltwater display in the nation for a Petco

They made a huge mistake when they turned you down. They don't know that that day they have lost a very qualified person, that could have done a really good job in their store. By the way, 15-18 per hour sounds really good for the pockets. :Cheers:

Cuntinuing with the Inhabitants post. These are the current inhabitants of my tank.

After the clowns died, I got Rusty my Royal Dottyback two days later. He has been with me since July 22. He went to rough times in my tank with those algae bloom I had for a while and me learning how to take care of him. But he's without doubts a hardy fish. He's also very active, he swims around the tank a lot, he loves swimming through the rock crevices and hiding in them too. He has a particular rock that he use as his house, he sleeps in it. I remember the first time I brought him home and I didn't know where he was when the lights went out. The next day, I saw him going in and out that rock and let me tell you folks he can hide very well inside that rock.

Say Hello! to Mr. and Mrs. Clown I don't have names for each one of them yet. And I hope they become a mated pair. They have been part of the family since August 24. I decided to wait a month after I got Rusty before adding my next fish . These are not mine really, they are my brother's fish. I let him choose the next fish addition to the tank. This means he paid for them, but I'm the one who takes care of them, so as I told him everything inside that tank belongs to me hahahahaha. I don't charge him rent you know lol so this is a fair deal.

And last one, but not less important Mushy my first mushroom, which I'm surprise is still alive. You will all know soon why I say this.

It's very rare that people go slow in this hobby. Glad that you're researching and taking things slow. The tank has come a long way!

Looking good! Love the fish, some of my favorite.

They're in fact really cool fish for beginners like me. :mrgreen:

It's very rare that people go slow in this hobby. Glad that you're researching and taking things slow. The tank has come a long way!

Thanks. It's been a long way as you said so and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. And I must say that is not as easy as I thought it would be. :shock: But, it feels so good when you can see the results of all your hard work and patience.

+1
coming along nicely!

Thanks!!! :D

Thanks for posting the details and links of your accessories. I just bought one of these tanks and you've saved me loads of time!

Thanks for posting the details and links of your accessories. I just bought one of these tanks and you've saved me loads of time!

Thanks and you're welcome. I'm very glad to know that my thread was useful for you. That was my intention since the beginning.

Good luck with your tank and feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I've found a lot of help from the hobbyists here too.

That's odd that they turned you down for the job. Considering your knowledge, you should of been at the top of the list lol. However, you most likely would of hated working there. Petco has policies for their saltwater display systems that are 100% wrong. And, they don't care if they are wrong, you HAVE to abide by it. For example, plastic decorations inside the tanks, regardless of what they leach into the system. No adding of any chemicals to the tank. SG must be kept between 1.017 - 1.021. If your PH out of the tap is 8.8 or higher, then that's what you are stuck with. It's a hassle just to keep fish alive there.

And, they expect you to keep corals, and inverts (like cleaner shrimp) alive, and well, long enough to be sold within these set parameters. It's crazy.

That's odd that they turned you down for the job. Considering your knowledge, you should of been at the top of the list lol. However, you most likely would of hated working there. Petco has policies for their saltwater display systems that are 100% wrong. And, they don't care if they are wrong, you HAVE to abide by it. For example, plastic decorations inside the tanks, regardless of what they leach into the system. No adding of any chemicals to the tank. SG must be kept between 1.017 - 1.021. If your PH out of the tap is 8.8 or higher, then that's what you are stuck with. It's a hassle just to keep fish alive there.

And, they expect you to keep corals, and inverts (like cleaner shrimp) alive, and well, long enough to be sold within these set parameters. It's crazy.

That's so sad, but you're right they don't care. I believe most of them just care about the profit only, and if you keep animals alive long enough so people can buy them is even better for the stores. Specially because they know the animals will die after they are sold and people will be back to the store to buy more. That's how they play. :(

Ok another person I'm jealous of love those clowns

Thank you! Zyber. By the way, I'm waiting to see your tank finish. :)

That's so sad, but you're right. I believe most of them just don't care. They are in the business of making money and nothing else matters.
That's so sad, but you're right. I believe most of them just don't care. They are in the business of making money and nothing else matters.

That's so sad, but you're right they don't care. I believe most of them just care about the profit only, and if you keep animals alive long enough so people can buy them is even better for the stores. Specially because they know the animals will die after they are sold and people will be back to the store to buy more. That's how they play. :(

Thank you! Zyber. By the way, I'm waiting to see your tank finish. :)

hahahaha it takes time I cant set up till we have a green light to move in.

Back