pumps and stuffs

jim the jarhead

Reefing newb
Hello fine reefing community,
After many years of freshwater we are going into the wonderful world of reefing. Here's where I'm at: I've got a 125 gallon tank with a glass-holes.com bean-animal overflow, a 55 gallon tank that I've added baffles to and separated into 3 parts, 150lbs of dry rock, a skimz 162 external skimmer, rodi system set up in my basement with a pair of 32 gallon trash cans set up to shut off at 25 gallons full, a pair of 300 watt heaters, gyre 150 for flow in tank, and fancy LED lights that I can't recall right now. Bulk reef supply has just gotten the theiling auto roller filter thingy back in stock, so I will be getting one of those, as well as a bunch of "special grade" live sand from the mighty Amazon.
I haven't yet gotten to the plumbing, but coming out of the glass-holes overflow, I've got 1 1/2" pvc, so that's what I'll be working with throughout (or as much as I can).
What I'm really looking at right now is what pumps to use going into the theiling filter thingy, and then to the skimz external, and then to push the return back to the display. It's going to be about 5 or 6 feet from the bottom of the sump to the top of the display that the return will have to push. Silence and efficiency is what I'm looking for.
Once the tank cycles and/or income tax monies come in I plan to get a controller, but for now my wallet has sustained about all the large dollar damage it can take (especially after the theiling and these pumps...)
Finally what- if any- supplements would you recommend for kickstarting the cycling process? I'm thinking a couple of the red sea mature reef kits should work well, but I'm new to this soooo... What do you think? Thanks for the input

Back