My 55 Gallon Reef Tank

I added the 6 all at once. The reason I decided to do this is somewhat complicated:
I went to the local pet store and I spotted the Chromis all in the same tank, only 6. I asked the store clerk how much for each and she said 9$ each. It was a little more than I wanted to pay for Chromis but I decided to buy three. I then spotted my friend, who is a local reefer and the mamanger of the pet store. After some discussion he said I could have them for 3.99$ each if I bought ALL 6. So I did. I also like the idea of keeping them together and they were tightly schooling in the tank at the fish store. They acclimated nicely and I placed them all at once in a region of the tank where I have the two fanes and the siphon. They are all looking great after three weeks and there has been no impact to chemical loads to date. If I could only get that one domino to stop chasing them:)

I did my weekly test last night and here are the results. Also, I forgot to mention I also have a rather large brittle green star fish. He is really fun to watch and it really fast! Last evening I noticed a Blue Chromis was missing from the school. He may show up today but ussually if something dies in my tank, which doesn't happen often, the green star fish is all over it! Maybe he has already eaten it because when I fed yesterday, he come running like he always does. HE MAY HAVE BEEN FULL:shock:....:mrgreen:

Attachments

• WP_000142.jpg
    WP_000142.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 227
Just realized that the Nitrate level looks orange in the picture. Actually is was very yellow. I guess the phone picture in poor lighting wasn't a good idea:)

The green brittle stars are commonly referred to "green stars of death".

My money is on the star snatching your chromis. I'd rehome it.

really!? interesting you say that Erin. I have noticed him approaching many of my fish. I had a Anthias one time that he would not leave alone. Next thing I know, the Anthias was dead and there is the star fish sitting over him. It's like a murder mystery in a aquarium...lol I think I'll start looking for a new home. I just didn't think he was fast enough to catch any fish.

So, I have a problem now. My wife and more importantly, my 4 year old son has grown to love the green star. He is about a foot in diameter anyways, so it's time for a replacement one way or the other. Is there ANY kind of star that won't eat fish or coral? What do you think?

Cool, I just called the local fish store and they are going to give me 10$ store credit for him. Maybe I'll grab another kind of brittle with the change:) Thanks Erin.

So I captured and relocated my green star fish to the LFS. They gave me 10$ store credit for him. not bad since I paid 8$ for him when he was a little star fish. Now he's a giant....almost 1 foot in diameter. They loved him and placed him in one of their tanks. I'll post a pic of his replacement when I get one:)

I took some new pictures of my tank yesterday. Considering I'm using a little cheap camera, they turned out OK I guess.

The first picture is of a coral I bought at the LFS. I got it for $20.00! The kid working the counter knew nothing about corals and I asked him how much, he couldn't find the price sheet, so he said he'd give it to me for $20.00. I said DEAL! They run $20.00 for a 2 head frag at the other LFS.

The second, the frog spawn has two head and I got it from a local reefer along with the 3 head hammer coral for $15.00 total! :)

Anyways, I hope everyone enjoys.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
I already put this on my google+ and FB account but I though you all would like to see if:) This is why I have a fish tank. I came into my office yesterday and this is what I found:

Attachments

• 977081_332277413567123_318875665_o.jpg
    977081_332277413567123_318875665_o.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 228
I bought a Hydrophobia frag last week. I really like the look of them. I attached it to piece of live rock that has nothing on it and with the current blowing so the tentacles (wow, spell check kept changing this to another similar sounding word...LOL) will not touch anything.
Does anyone know the growth rate of these corals? I heard they are fast. The frag I bought is about 1.5" diameter and about 1" tall. He's on a rock about the size of a football. I need to clean my display tanks glass and then I'll get some pictures for everyone. Thanks.

Back