My 56 Gallon Tank

robbrouse

Reefing newb
My wife and I decided (after many years of debate) to start a Reef Tank. Well space was limited being we have 3 other fresh water tanks set up but we made room for one tank in out living room. I ended up with:

A marineland 56 gallon column tank, not my first choice bit I picked up the tank and stand brand new for $75 so it our tank.

Also picked up a Coralife T5HO light fixture new in box for $40.

And 2 maxjets 1200 and one 600 for $10 for the 3

I build a 10 gallon sump (all that would fit in the stand, as well as a DIY PVC over flow.

I know the lighting system will not be enough at 124 watts for most corals. I got it for a steal and could sell it for more than I paid for it in the future.

Today will be the day I finish the plumbing for the sump tank.

I spent about 3 weeks looking for a forum / message board that made the user fell welcome and I decided to my Living Reefs my go to board. Still looking for the local LFS that will be my go to store, we have several in the Salt Lake City, Utah area, but most don't make you fell welcome in there store.

Anyways this might be a little long and sorry about that just wanted to start my tank build thread. Hope to have some photos after I get my camera back from canon. Again thanks for all the help and making the new guy fell welcome.

Robb from Utah

Hello and Welcome!!

Any ideas about your stocking? Column tanks can be a challenge because of their hight, most saltwater fish need more length.

You don't see many column tanks out there that look too good, other than an occasional well planned sea-horse tank. Good luck, though, and I look forward to seeing what you'll do with it! We love pictures here, so feel free to go crazy. :camera:

As far as fish goes want to clowns and maybe one or two other smaller fish. Yeah the dang things too tall. 30" W x 18" D x 24" H. I've seen some 39 gallon that were also 30 w and only 12" deep so I've been keeping all the fish I've looked at to 39 or smaller.

Slight update. I decided to build my own sump out of a spare 10 gallon tank I had (all that would fit the stand) I got that plumbed and working yesterday. Thank is running with tap water to make sure all works. Will be mixing up salt water soon this week and not this weekend (too much going on) but next will start my cycle.

I'm still torn between the table shrimp and using pure ammonia to do the cycle. I have cycled 8 or 9 freshwater thanks with it. Just add enough to bring the ammonia to about 4 PPM and let it rind out.

I'm worried it might kill off the live rock it I do that might right out of the gate. Has anyone one every used ammonia to cycle?

I dont think anyone personally has, but you arent going to kill the live rock, because the bacteria that make the rock "live" feed on the ammonia. You are basically going to give it an extra big lunch. No need to worry about using ammonia. Most people use the shrimp because its much easier to buy.

Back