my attempt at building a sump

shades251

Reefing newb
i am about to start my sump build. i bought my tank yesterday the chick i got it from told me it was 30 gallon for 20 buck...need i stress she had no clue what she was talking about, so i ended up with a 50 gallon sump tank for my 55 gallon tank for 20 bucks:bounce::bounce:.:bounce: now starts to stuff i have no clue about. i know the general design but i been told since the sump is gonna be so big that i need to put a refug in it and i know nothing about that, so if you guys could help me out with a refug design in my sump that would be amazing

other stuff i dont have a clue about but need to know soon how big of a pump does my return need to be. and how can i build an overflow that wont look bad or can be hidin:frustrat::frustrat:

I would recommend to buy a premade overflow like the CPR overflows for example which are made to fail under very rare circumstances and have pumps to revive the siphon in case of power outage. Homemade siphons can fail very easily and lead to floods especially with a sump that large. The size of your siphon will determine the size f your return pump which will be slightly faster than your siphon, you will need a ball or gate valve as well as a check valve on your return to dial in a constant water flow. A fuge is just a niche for beneficial micro algae an copepods to thrive and reproduce without prededation... It will consist of a sand bed live rock perhaps some chaeto and it should have a light opposite your display sched to balance your ph. Your fuge has to be between the protein skimmer and the outlet because if your fuge is before the skimmer, the pods willbe fried. From inlet to return line a good order for your sump would be inlet, skimmer area, refuge, return. Good luck! Haha cover me I missed anything guys

Macro*** algae in the fuge haha sorry. And also the check valve is to prevent creating a siphon out of the return line in case of an outage.

Hey. This is what I have for my 10g sump/fuge and my plumbing - simple overflow down - pump return -with a T and a drain back into the fuge on the return, just in case the pump is two powerful. Work Doc is a blueprint.

Attachments

• sf-2.doc
    688 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG00254.jpg
    IMG00254.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG00255.jpg
    IMG00255.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG00256.jpg
    IMG00256.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 4,863
Here is a pic of my sump design. Everyone here says they build up nitrates, but if i make it so i can take them out and clean them when i do my water changes i figure they cant do much harm if i just keep them clean. So let me know if it will work and what you think

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 663
I had the filter foam and bio ball setup when I had the 72g. As long as you keep the filter foam clean, the bio ball is perfectly fine. They stuff that would get stuck at the bio ball would never get a chance to get to the bio balls.

Looks like you have a good plan there.

Just make sure you have the skimmer BEFORE you build the sump. I have read alot of people that didnt and then the skimmer wouldnt fit and they had to rebuild it.

Also, makesure you have plenty of room for your return pump. If you make it too small, you will be topping off several times a day. This is because evaporation only shows up in that section.

Back