My first Clownfish

Slayer

Reefing newb
Hey all,

in the next few days im going to be adding my first fish to my tank and am going for a clowfish. I want a true percula if i can get on so the black stripes exist on the body. Is a clown fish a good starter fish and what would be advisable to get with it, i mean clownfish like to live in anemone's dont they? I dont have anything currently barring live rock.

Clownfish are known to be very hardy fish and make great beginner fish. You don't HAVE to get anything for him, other than food of course. Clownfish need anemones in the wild for protection but, they can live long happy lives in your tank without an anemone. If at all possible, you should try to find a tank bred variant (so that you're not contributing to the taking of wild fish when it's not necessary, but I'm not sure if you can get tank bred true percs)

If you want any other fish besides the Clown I would suggest introducing the other fish first. Clowns are VERY territorial and don't take well do new additions. For instance, if you want a firefish, etc. and a clown. Get the firefish first. Just my opinion.

I was thinking about a 6 line wrasse, a royal gramma, something with a nice blue colour and a clownfish. One per week. Any advice on that?

You should really only add one fish every 3-4 weeks. Especially with a small tank adding fish will add to your bio-load and may start mini-cycles. Adding too many fish at one time will just make the cycle that much bigger

Oh, i had no idea! Thanks for that, any advice on the first addition out of what i have said?

Clownfish
6 line wrasse
Royal Gramma

and something a nice blue colour but im not sure of what would be suitable with those 3?

I'd personally stay away from the 6 line wrasse, they're pretty well known for their carpet surfing.

3 fish is pretty much the recommended MAX for your tank as far as fish go. I'd go with maybe a pair of clowns and a royal, or maybe firefish (however, they're known to jump as well.)

Don't worry about an anemone, for one your tank is way to new to keep one. Clowns will host any number of things in out tanks. I'd look for a few good sized hairy mushrooms and see if your clown will take to that. My two clowns host an open brain and a colt coral.

Don't get an anemone -- they only do well in tanks that have been set up for a year or so, as they are very difficult to keep. Your clown will be perfectly fine without one.

I also advise to skip the sixline wrasse in a tank that size, I think it's just too small for a sixline.

But the clown and royal gramma are good choices. As for a 3rd fish, how about a yellow tail blue damsel?

http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/children/graphics/New Fish/Yellow Tail Blue Damsel.jpg

You are really maxed out at 3 fish, though. And like others said, wait at least 3 weeks in between additions.

OK i will take all the advise on board. I fell in love with the yellow tailed blue damsel fish in my LFS but they advised against one as they are very territorial...

Are they wrong? Which would best be added first of these 3 fish?

They are very territorial. But so are clowns and royal grammas. They are all on the same level as far as aggression goes.

I'd add the gramma first, then the damsel, then the clown.

Back