My First Corals

drm180

Reefing newb
I got my first corals last night and wanted to make sure I put them all in suitable spots. I got a small torch coral and placed it about midway up the tank, and rock that it is on also has some palythoas on it. I got a ricordea and put it on the sand bed. I put zoanthids on the sand bed as well. There are only about 5 polyps right now. I also got to stalks of zenia, which I placed about halfway up the tank right beside a powerhead so it gets plenty of current. Sound okay?

Congratulations on the new additions.
Sounds like you probably got them placed good.But its impossible to know for sure with know what kind of lights your burning.And of course pics will help.

Oh yeah I forgot to speak of the lighting. I have a Nova Extreme. 96 watts. 2 bulbs are 10,000K and 2 are 460nm actinic. I'm going to post some pics tomorrow. The lights are off and I didn't have my camera yesterday.

I'd say that you got em placed good.But in a week or so,move your zoanthids up onto the rock just a bit.That way they can spread for later fragging.

100_0872.jpg

100_0873.jpg

100_0874.jpg

100_0875.jpg

100_0877.jpg

My torch has tripled in size in the last six months. Make sure they do not get too much flow and do not hit them directly with a baster.

Those are some great looking additions.But you might want to move either that torch or those polyps its sitting in.The torch will sting them and cause them to die eventually.

Good looking stuff. I think if it was me I'd pull those zoas out with your next water change and lightly brush that bubble alae off the plug. Make sure you do it in the water you're pulling out and throwing away.

100_0874.jpg

Thanks a lot everyone. I was just about to ask about the polyps with the torch, they don't look very happy. Do I just scrape them off the rock and glue them onto another one?

Are the glued to the same rock as the torch?
If they are,you'd probably be better off to frag the torch off the rock.You'll just have to make sure there is enough stalk to cut without cutting into the fleshy part.

I don't think they are glued. I think they just grew onto it. They are both on the same rock though. I'm not sure if there is enough stalk or not, it's pretty short.

I took three of the polyps off of glued them to another rock just incase my torch decides to kill them before they make it off themselves. They're opened up and look a lot happier away from it.

Back