My first SW 30 Gallon setup - 3 months in.

messiah023

Reefing newb
I posted some of these pictures in the "introduce yourself" section, but I have since added some new stuff, so I figured I would consolidate in the showcase section.

So far, three months after rock cycling, everything is looking good. All my water parameters are where they should be, all my buddies are thriving and things are going smooth.

I don't have a tremendous coraline growth like others have reported, but the coraline I do have from the LR is maintaining. I have some small algae patches, but the Turbos seem to be making quick work of it.

I will nurture this tank for a year, then start thinking about a larger reef tank in 2009. I am lucky to know a very seasoned reefer who has been guiding me through my early learning curves as well as all the wonderfully knowledgeable people on Living Reefs!

So, here are my pics, with the most recent at the end.

30-gallon bow-front tank with Coralife AquaLight deluxe setup & Eheim Ecco canister. I have added a RIO pumphead for circulation and a small heater to maintain my temps (77 - 78 degrees).
aquarium.jpg

Here is my great Starry Blenny, he is really cool to watch and interacts with his roomates really well.
blenny1.jpg

Here is my sand sifting Goby. He does a GREAT job on the sand and has dug out a nice cavern for himself under the LR.
goby.jpg

My favorite guy in the tank is the Conch. He is so cool (when he is visible). Normally, he is under the sand and all we get to see is his snout come out to feed.
conch.jpg

Here's a closeup of our new feather duster. This guy is pretty sweet and loves to stay out most of the time. We have been giving him a small phytoplankton supplement every few days and he seems to enjoy it.
duster.jpg

Our first coral, a Torch. Really cool piece (nice colors under the light too). I have been doing a Mysis spot feeding with it for a couple of weeks and it seems to enjoy it. Our 6-line Wrasse likes to hang out in this area as well.
duster_torch.jpg

My newest addition (as of today) was a pair of Emerald Crabs. Here is one flexing for the camera.
emerald.jpg

Life on the reef is nice and peaceful. My two clowns (my first purchases) have been doing well and seem to be having a good time exploring and swimming throughout the day. Check out the Starry Blenny perched on top of the polyps in the top right of the picture. He thinks he is king of the hill!
clowns-1.jpg

More to come...... I have my eyes on some nice blue zoos....but I have to feed my kids this week....so possibly in a few weeks!

Thanks for everyone's advice and help so far, I'm sure I will call upon you again really soon!

Your tank looks great, and those are some fantastic pics. You should consider entering one into the March Picture of the Month competition!

They are some really good pics. Your tank looks great. Love the featherduster. They're one of my favorites. The crab looks tough. Coral looks great.

such great pics! I don't see my emerald crabs very often so I'm jealous you have a show-off! The tank looks great.

I must add I love Naples too! My hubby's family has a condo there. We went there for our honeymoon and we're returning this October!

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate the comments. I will try to update soon with some new pics. I use a Canon digital rebel for the photos in complete darkness (the flash & lens are the real secret to good photos).

Stag, pretty funny you are heading to Naples in a few weeks. I am actually heading to Tennessee in a few weeks. The family is driving to Chattanooga at the end of the month with a brief stopover in Atlanta to see the Georgia Aquarium. We will be at the Chattanooga Aquarium as well while visiting family.

Naples is very nice (especially this time of year) if anyone ever wants a nice relaxing vacation. I wouldn't recommend the summer months due to the overwhelming heat & humidity we get (plus that's our rainy season and it tends to rain every day in the afternoon).

If anyone ever gets to Marco Island, I would suggest a visit to Guy Harvey's restaurant in the Esplanade. They have some nice fish paintings and some nice tanks (artificial reefs though).

Biff, I mean complete darkness. All tank lights & all room lights (as much as possible) are off. If you "pre" spike your flash, right before you snap the picture, you will have a nice colorized finished pic. Make sure you don't aim your flash at a 90 degree, as 45 will be much better (or you will get a reflection from the glass). Try messing with the ISO settings & F stops, you will get different results.

The picture with the (2) clowns and the blenny on the polyps is taken with the digital rebel using F/4 & 1/30 second exposure at ISO-400 (this is a pretty standard / generic setting).

Also, using high quality lenses are helpful. Cheaper Chinese or import lenses will give you a strange haze or bend.

I know, total geek......sorry!
I had my first child with a point-and-shoot camera. Everytime she did something I wanted to capture, it took too long to snap the pic and I ended up with a junk photo.
When kid #2 was hatched, I decided I better upgrade to a nicer camera so I could get some good photos of him. It's amazing what a difference the camera & lens makes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Nice tank. I'm starting a seahorse tank and like your set up. Who manufactures your 30 gallon cube and where did you find it. I'd like to get mine up and running by next week.

Thx,
Reefkeeper8

Back