My fish should be happy I'm back!

Hamilton

Reefing newb
Sooooo Hello from me: Hamilton, from Hamilton (original or what, right?)
I started 2 tanks in 2005, then 2 yrs ago, had many personal and professional problems and obligations hit me all at once, and I stopped doing ALL water changes, only topped up with R/O and fed minimally...surprisingly, many survived.
I am finally getting around to putting my life back in order, starting with the water changes.
Again, surprisingly, my water salinity was not as hypo as I expected, and after 2 or 3 changes over the past few weeks, parameters are getting back to normal.
The little tank had some basic polyps on a couple rocks, and they are now reproducing, but there are absolutely no creatures apart from the fish, living within the rocks. I still have awful silt on everything and some red algae; I keep vacuuming it off, but it returns.
Is it safe for a cleaning crew to be introduced into the tank? I see no source of food that they could possible pick at except the silt.
There are no nitrates registering at all and the tank seems balanced otherwise.
THe bigger tank is still in the nitrate zone, but I am growing all sorts of green algae & seaweed type stuff and I hope I could introduce a cleaning crew & shrimp to start picking away at this stuff...I do have about a dozen zombie snails that have been in the tank over the last 2 yrs of torture, and they seem ok.
I appreciate any- and every-ones' advice as I return to nurturing instead of neglecting!!!
THanks in advance!

Hello and welcome, Hamilton!

If your parameters are all in check, you can add a clean up crew. If there isn't algae and stuff in the tank, you'll have to supplement their diet with prepared food.

How high are your nitrates in the bigger tank? You want to get them down as low as possible before introducing inverts, or else you risk just killing the inverts -- which will make your water parameters even worse.

How big of water changes are you doing? I'd be doing some substantial ones -- like 30 to 40% a week, for a few weeks, since the tanks have been neglected for so long.

Welcome back to the hobby -- you will get squared away in no time! I ended up getting rid of my last tank (a 240) because I got tired of maintaining it, and I just let it go. It got supremely neglected, and I ended up feeling terrible about it, so I bought a 90 gallon instead and moved most of my fish into that tank, and the 90 has been much easier for me to take care of.

Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing! ;)

Thank you for the reply: That Was Fast!
I, meanwhile, was elsewhere on this site, reading about red slime algae which the smaller tank has:
One final interesting note is that because slime algae consume nitrates, often when aquarists perform nitrate tests, the readings come up as normal. Don't be deceived. If you were to remove the algae temporarily before putting into action any of the above solutions, in all likelihood you will see a rise in the nitrate levels in the aquarium. It's like a Catch 22. The nitrates have actually been there all along, but unreadable as the algae is feeding on it, therefore the nitrates appear to be in check. This applies to many other forms of algae as well!
Sooo A-Hah! I was testing Zero nitrates: now I know why!
Then I will keep on sucking that stuff out and keep changing the water, before I can get a crew in there, right?
I have been doing 25 gallon water changes once a week on both tanks, as I don't have the space to make any more than that at a time.
If I can, I slip in a quick 10 gallon water change in between...

BTW:
does it mean anything when the fire worms start spawning?
I just saw it happen in my larger tank a week or so ago,
now again today as I was in the larger tank siphoning prior to a water change.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Are they feeling threatened and a need to reproduce because the nitrates are so bad, or because the water is getting healthier?
It was really gross being in there at the same time they were all SQUIRTing together!

Hello and Welcome!

The are most likely bristleworms, you almost never actually see a true fireworm. But they reproduce in out tanks and you just caught them in the act.

WOW! Thank you all for the warm welcome~!!!
Yes, I guess you're right, they are the cute little pink bristleworms....but I also have a honker of a HUGE big-ass UGLY grey Mother worm too...and it Also joined the others in Squirt-Fest yesterday afternoon!
YIKES: how OFTEN do they DO it???!!!!

Back