My friend's 125

OurFishies

Reef-aholic
My tank progress is still on hold for now. My friends that we got addicted to fishies started a 125 gallon tank recently (they started with a nano and ran out of room ;) ). They just added live rock and are starting the cycle. I thought I would share, as this is going to be a super tank! That and I took a picture, haha.

main.php

We had a damsel in ours when we started to cycle it. I believe they went off that concept. Some of the water, a lot of the sand, and a lot of the rock came from actual set up tanks from the LFS (friends at fish stores can be nice).

My husband and friend generally cycle tanks with at least one fish. Not 100% sure on the reasoning, other than I think they think it helps get the biological system going?

Its just an old archaeic way of doing things. It puts the lives of the fish used in danger and is on the verge of torture. You can do the exact same thing with a pinch of food or a table shrimp, it can even be done with a small amount of 100 ammonia. Its just a bad practice.

Ah. I will tell them they are meanies! Our damsel made it through that battle hearty and healthy so I didn't know about it being bad. We started the transition with freshwater (with mollies) to brackish to salt. The mollies didn't survive though. :(

My husband hadn't started a tank in over 10 years when we got ours going though...

Ourfishies if you really are interested in getting caught up with modern techniques go grab a copy of The Conscientous Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner.

All the damselfish is there for is to introduce ammonia(fish piss and crap) to the system. Rotting food or liquid ammonia(very very small amount) will introduce the same ammonia.

Ryan is right -- fish waste (ammonia) can be duplicated by putting pieces of fish food in the tank to rot. Cheaper than using a live fish, and less cruel. Damsels and chromis are hardy and lots of times survive, but I still don't think it's worth it. It's still stressful on the fish (and then you're stuck with a damsel...).

Now that I am done cutting your friend down, Ive got to admit that this is going to be a pretty sweet tank! The rocks have some very nice shapes

The tank is used. It came with MH, refugium, skimmer and everything. It has cabinets built all of the way around. It is a pretty neat set up.

I will check out that book, thanks Ryan. I keep meaning to pick up a good book on taking care of saltwater tanks, but can't seem to find the time to sit down and read non-college books lately.

I will add a pic of the full set up later. They didn't have all of the cupboards up when I had stopped by. This is their first big tank, they had a small nano before. I am excited for them. :)

I will check out that book, thanks Ryan. I keep meaning to pick up a good book on taking care of saltwater tanks, but can't seem to find the time to sit down and read non-college books lately. :)

:mrgreen: Then its right up your alley, it is used for a college level text at many universities. Make sure you look for the soft cover thatll run you $40 if you buy the hard cover itll run you about $170!

Lol. I am sooooo sick of college textbooks. I sit every day in a room piled with books and notes (I sort of procrastinated a bit too much, and my term is almost over). As I sit here procrastinating some more... I have no idea why I am subjecting myself to work 50+ hours a week and trying to drag myself through a master's degree. Makes my brain hurt, ouch!

Back