My Gramma's Dieing

reefer_head

Reefing newb
I have a my royal gramma that's been in my tank now for about five years now. From what I read it's probably about that time. It goes from being stuffed behind a rock or floating up near the top. Sometimes upside down. I really don't know what to do about it. I don't have the heart to flush it. Any advice would be helpful. Also I have a tomato clown and a six line wrasse that are about the same age. Are they near the end also? Thanks.

sorry to hear about that, you could give him a vodka bath. It is supposed to be a quick way to euthenize fish.

BTW, I read this title as your grandma is dieing:shock: Glad to find out it is your fish:mrgreen:

I don't have any vodka. All I have is tequila. Plus that's alcohol abuse. Maybe I can put it in a shot of tequila and pretend it's a worm. Eeww

I read the same thing, that's funny.

Sorry to hear about your gramma though.

Me too! I have yet to have to euthanaze a salt water fish... but when I had to do a freshwater fish I'd put them in a big ziploc bag in the freezer. It just puts 'em to sleep.

Sorry for the mis-read. Thought it might be pun-ny. I wonder how they'll take it when I call in to work with the bad news. Probably say "That's the fourth one this week"

I to thought "grandma"...sorry to hear about your fish. What I have done is placed the dieing fish in the net and kept it in the tank. And when it finally died, I was able to just pull it out. I've also done the freezer bag method before.

Me too! I have yet to have to euthanaze a salt water fish... but when I had to do a freshwater fish I'd put them in a big ziploc bag in the freezer. It just puts 'em to sleep.

Ive heard about that "fish in the freezer" method before. Wouldn't they just die from asphyxiation?

I have many fish that are at leat 10 years old, so it's hard to say if it's "old age" if you don't know how old he was before you got him.

Sorry to hear about your fish. Vodka is a fast and easy way to euthanize them, as is decapitation (eeew). I've read mixed things about the freezer bag method... I didn't feel comfortable trying that on my own fish when I had to put one down.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. Vodka baths on Grandmas are not allowed by law. You should take her to the hospital. :mrgreen:

Yea I miss read it too at first. Sorry for the loss of your fish.

I did the same and saw it as my grandma's dieing

Another way (this sounds cruel but is very quick) is too put him in a ziplock and bash his head on a table or concrete :( very sorry for you loss :(

They would probably die of hypo first. Their body temp would drop slow low that their heart would stop. That would be my guess.

Back