my idea for a refugium

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
ok, I've been thinking about adding a refugium to my tank. My problem is that this tank was a birthday gift and my husband and daughter are very proud of the stand they got me to go with my tank. This is kind of the stand that I have. My aquarium is a 26 gallon and the one in the photo is 46 so my stand has one set of shelves and one verticle glass cabinet. http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/geneva-series-aquariums.htm

I want and need to keep the cabinet. I was thinking I have two options. 1. Design a refugium that is 10"x10" square and 20 inches tall. This would be nice but I just cant think of how to do it without gravity screwing things up for my water flow. My second option. 2. Flank my 26 gallon tank with one or two 10 gallon tank(s). I could build a stand (or see if aqueon has one) that is exactly the same height as my first tank. A 10 gallon will fit exactly next to my 26 gallon with no gaps. It would be shorter but if I flank it on both sides it would look like I meant that. I really like the idea of setting up one tank as a mangrove. When I lived in Florida I used to hang in some of the brackish mangroves and snorkel so it would be cool if I could work one of those into the design. Also, they look pretty. The second tank I would want to set up a copepod breeding ground and some live rocks. I also have a HOB filter that I could remove the carbon pad out of and replace it with live rocks. My prism filter has been adjusted so it doesn't blow bubbles which also helps with filtration. I guess my question is this. I am under the impression that the more water I can work into my set-up, the easier my water parameters are to keep. Adding two 10 gallon tanks would almost double my water mass. Also, It would look like one bigger tank without a lot of the expense, I could use different lighting that wouldn't cost so much... that kind of thing. Another thing, if I wanted to get something like an anemone (not doing it anytime soon I promise) but if I did want to get something that could be harmful to others in my aquarium, I could use one of the little tanks for that. Another plus would be that if I built these two side cabinets, I could theoretically add some sumps into the bottom of the stand and increse my water mass if I needed to. Does this logic make sense? Am I on the right track? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Catherine

Sounds fine to me. If there's no room in your stand, there's nothing wrong with putting the refugium next to the aquarium. That probably won't work with an overflow box, given that the two tanks would be around the same height. You could just use a powerhead to pump water from the main tank to the refugium, and have the refugium sitting a little higher than the main tank, and then have the water from the fuge use gravity to flow back into the main tank.

A refugium is actually suppoased to be above the tank so the pods don't die going through the pumps on the way to the display tank. Is there anyway you could put a shelf above the tank with a ten gallon refuge.

Good idea, Oscarsdad + Biff!
IMHO, you *could*, once all is well established, find a mate for your clown and breed! That would be so cool to have tiny little maroon clowns. I saw a display at Reef-a-Palooza this year of a maroon clown breeder, it was so awesome to see successful captive breeding in person. My $0.02

A refugium is actually suppoased to be above the tank so the pods don't die going through the pumps on the way to the display tank. Is there anyway you could put a shelf above the tank with a ten gallon refuge.

Ok, I'm an artist so you've got to spell everything out for me. It needs to sit higher so I can use a siphon to get the water from the refugium to the tank? So if I can transfer water from one tank to the other without using the pump that would be better for my pods?

thanks, Catherine

Oh, I just ordered baby mangrove plants!

Good idea, Oscarsdad + Biff!
IMHO, you *could*, once all is well established, find a mate for your clown and breed! That would be so cool to have tiny little maroon clowns. I saw a display at Reef-a-Palooza this year of a maroon clown breeder, it was so awesome to see successful captive breeding in person. My $0.02

thanks for the idea! I'll put it on the 2 year plan list! It would be very cute to see a school of baby clowns!

Catherine

So today, my LFS guy told me he had a little stand for a 10 gallon tank. I've got a little 10 gallon cheesy set up that I was going to put a frog in for my daughter but it has now been assigned to be my mangrove swamp part of my refugium. I went and looked at the little stand. It's obviously been sitting there a long time. Also, it is black (which I wanted) but the door is slotted and has a "country" look. I like the comfy "country" look but my whole house is modern design. He and I were in a huge hurry when I went in and he said try it and bring it back if you don't like it. Here's my thinking. I could pull the door off the front of this stand, put a sump down there and because I will be lighting my sump, I could replace the country style door with a nice stained glass designed by me. I would love to do something like that. So, here's how the water would work. It would start in the main tank, trickle into my 10 gallon mangrove swamp, then get pumped down into a sump that would house my skimmer, and a section with LR and LS in it, then get pumped back into my main tank. No pump would be used from my main tank or to my sump. I could put a little sump down in the 10 gallon stand. My HOB filter could be my Pod breeding area or I could build a HOB pod breeding area since my skimmer would be moving. Eventually, I could add another 10 gallon tank to the left side that could do pods or clown breeding something like that. Here's my questions. 1. Does the little tank sitting next to the big tank look nice (please be honest). 2. Will this work and help me have a more stable water system? 3. Is this just a bunch of work that won't make that big of a difference overall? 4. Is there any way I can get rid of all that junk hanging on the back of my tank? HOB filter, heater and skimmer. As always, thanks for any help!

Here's a couple of photos. The 10 gallon has the cheesy hood on it with a whopping 50 watt incandescent light on it. That will be changing soon.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

That would look good.If you ask me.
And anything you can do to add more water to your system,is going to help.More water means more stability.Plus the sump will let you remove the HOB filter and stuff.You can put the heater and skimmer in the sump,which will give your tank a cleaner look.
You'll just need some better lights for the mangroves to hang over the 10gal.But that shouldnt be a problem either.

my freind and i took his old hang off the back filter and took all the media out and put a sponge in the middle near the pump so it doesn't get anything stuck in it and it works great cause we can control the flow and use the lights that are already on the tank for life. what do you all think?

Back