My Intro

hsreefs

Reefing newb
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have grown an interest in marine biology. I have many years of horticultural experience with carnivorous plants and orchids.

I would love to learn more about this interesting hobby and before I invest in this hobby, I would like to know how to get started. Here are a few questions that I have.

I found a 30 gallon tank on eBay for 21 dollars. I figure that would be easier than getting an expensive biocube. I want to know-If I want to start with just this ordinary 30 gallon aquarium, what will I need to get that just as good as a biocube or any prepared saltwater aquarium?

I haven't done that much research because I couldn't find good sources so please forgive my ignorance.

Regards

If I were you, I would look local, always great deals to be snatched up.
Craigslist would be a great place to start.

Well the benifit of a biocube is the internal "sump/refuge" so if you wanted it like that you would need a seperate tank for a sump. Basically for equipment, imo i think youll need a protein skimmer, a heater, a few power heads. And decent lights if you are planning on having corals. Get those things some live rock and dead rock, some good substrate and your good to start cyclying your tank. Cycling is a big thing in this hobby that cannot be rushed. Do it once and do it right. Those are things you could potentially start looking for if you are serious about this great fulfulling hobby. :)

Hello and Welcome. :D

You don't need a filter, your live rock will act as a biological filter, you just want at least 1 pound, but more like 1 and 1/2 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon. A protein skimmer would be of more benefit, but not necessary on a 30 gallon as your regular water changes will reduce the dissolved organics in the water, but a protein skimmer would still be a good investment, I run one on my 36.

Hello and thank you for your replies, although I did not find them very useful. Some of the info you gave me is very controversial and inaccurate. Take for example MikeG's post. He claims that a normal filter is not necessary and adequate filtration can be acquired with the use of live rock on its own. This is entirely incorrect. Without filtration there would be no water movement at all and vital substances like oxygen cannot be recycled back into the tank, causing the death of many organisms such as fish and coral. Plus, what if a film develops on top of your tank because of algae? I doubt a skimmer could fix that.

I asked various SIMPLE questions to test the accuracy and intelligence of the members of this forum. Most were not answered and those that were were total crap! I would expect a better reply from a third grader with learning disabilities! It is a shame that people like you even participate in this civilized hobby! You make fools of all reefers!
Thank you but this all you will be hearing from me on this forum!
Good day to you all!

I was about to internet slap you when I saw that! :p
Hahahaha
Any questions that you felt left un-answered though?

Back