My Magnesium is low

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
It's sitting around 1200 according to my Salifert kit.
Says it should be 1300-1500.
What do you suggest I use to bump it up?

lg_19362_FS27130V.jpg

Epsom salts. Search Randy Holmes-Farleys Two Part Recipe and it will go over the proper instructions and dosing. But I dont really think that 1200 is that low. Wait for one of the experienced ones to chime in. Capt uses the two part I think.

Your mag shouldn't be that low with Oceanic salt. A fresh mix is usually around 1650. What's your ca and alk?
If your not dosing 2 part, you can use epsom salts.
Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium
From the article........
1. Using Epsom salts only, dissolve 8 cups Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined by using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is the least preferred of the three, but can be acceptable if used for small amounts of supplementation, or if combined with at least 30% water changes per month. It is also a more reasonable choice if calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are used in large amounts to supplement calcium and alkalinity.
2. Using MAG flake only, dissolve 8 cups magnesium chloride hexahydrate in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is adequate, but not quite as balanced as #3 below. This choice is not a good way to go if calcium is supplemented by calcium chloride, because together they will force chloride excessively high.
3. Using both Epsom salts and MAG flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is preferred, but its advantage over recipe #2 is minimal in most cases.

I think Oceanic may have lowered the magnesium in their salt.Because I'm haveing to dose it too.Only I'm adjusting my NEW water before the water change.
Capts got the dosing covered.

I just want to add these #'s I'm throwing out and the #'s posted on the link above are all levels when the water is at the natural seawater salinity of 35ppt or 1.026.
If you run your saltwater at a lower salinity, your levels will drop accordingly.

Seachem mag will work, no doubt. It's just the cost. To raise 100g of water from 1200 to 1300 you would need to use 475g of Seachem mag. A whole bottle is 600g. That could get expensive if you need to dose mag on a regular basis.

Back