my new tangs

Those are good looking fish, but......and I hate to sound like Mr. Negativity, but you picked 2 of the largest tangs and even a 125 isn't big enough for them long term. The Naso will grow to 18" and the sailfin to 16". Your tank isn't big enough for both those large fish.
I just wish more research would go into these purchases. There are sooooooo many tangs that are suitable, long term, for a 6' 125g tank, but the 2 you picked are not.

First-- you don't hate to be Mr. Negativity :). 2nd, I've posted MANY (at least 4 times) On the reef fishes category about the topic of the big fish I wanted to get for my tank. I've researched tangs and rabbitfishes for the past 6 months. You didn't chime in then, so I sort of resent that you're criticizing my choices now.

Besides that, this tank is only going to be their home for a few years, until I move to a permanent job. The best information I could find about growth rate was vague-- "a couple of years". Apparently no one has done growth curves on tangs, which is a shame and someone should do it. At any rate, they'll eventually be graduating to a larger tank. They'll be fine for a few years in my current tank, especially given that there's more than enough space around the rocks for them to make a race track of it-- which is what they're doing now.

I know that what they say is only a guideline but, live aquaria says they only need a minimum of 125g tank

yes, it does, as does this site: Naso lituratus
actually, they just say the tank needs to be 6' long. which mine is.

First-- you don't hate to be Mr. Negativity :). 2nd, I've posted MANY (at least 4 times) On the reef fishes category about the topic of the big fish I wanted to get for my tank. I've researched tangs and rabbitfishes for the past 6 months. You didn't chime in then, so I sort of resent that you're criticizing my choices now.

yes, it does, as does this site: Naso lituratus
So you have researched and learned they grow to the width of your tank and still feel that's fine. Sorry, but I don't comment on every single post made. I would think a person with your background would be up on doing research and seeing what the fish really needs. If you think 2 fish that size will work in your tank, good luck. ;)

The link you posted also says....
The Naso is not a fish for anyone... This species is too-often lost for simple lack of knowledge and follow-through in providing sufficient space (a minimum of a six foot run... much larger when adult)

Last edited:
Did you read the rest of my post, or just ignore it? Neither of these tangs are adults-- the sailfin isn't even the right colors for an adult, and the naso is less than 6". Again, to the best of the knowledge in the trade, it takes years for them to grow to adult size. I already stated my plans for getting a larger tank in a few years.

As for not commenting on my previous posts about this topic, I find it interesting that 4 different posts spaced over a 6 month period, and you conveniently missed all if them...until, of course, I've already gotten them and you can criticize rather than advise.

I had that kind of sailfin in my 90 for 4 years I don't think it got much bigger than 3 inches long and was maybe 2 inches when I bought him. He was always fat and happy as far as I could tell

I wondered how long "a few years" is. that helps very much, thanks puttycat. They won't be in this tank any longer than 3 years... after I get my PhD, it'll be time to move and that's when I plan to move to a bigger, probably in-wall, setup.

that's okay-- my main requirement in wanting a Des. was to get one with blue fin margins and a blue spot on his staby surgeon thingy, and when this one's not pissed off, he's got that coloring. so i'm happy.

how can you tell the diff?

Back