My Plan and Questions

italipinos8

Reefing newb
I will be turning my 90 gallon freshwater tank into a reef tank. I want to try to save money so i will be attempting a lot of DIY stuff. I won't start setting up the tank until we move into our new house in June (just want to be prepared):D

The Sump- will make it out of a 10 gallon tank using these directions [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o]YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1[/ame]

The Overflow- still looking for a good and easy design. I dont feel confindent in drilling the tank :(

Live Rock- I want to make my own rock following these directions DIY Cement Live Rock. How many lbs of actually live rock do i need to seed this base rock. I was thinking like 150 lbs of base rock and 30 lbs of live rock. I will also be getting some live sand. And for the curing of the base rock do you just set it into the tap water until the pH becomes stable?

Protein Skimmer- i was thinking about getting this one Reef Octopus NWB 150 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave but any suggestions will be great.

Lighting- T5 lighting... probally need a strong wattage... tank is about 2 feet deep

I think that is pretty much it. Any help is appreciated :D

You will have no choice but to increase the size of the sump if you are going to put a skimmer, fuge and return section in it. That will never fit in a 10. I would suggest a least a 30. That skimmer will take up half of a 10 alone.

The Overflow- still looking for a good and easy design. I dont feel confindent in drilling the tank :(

Live Rock- I want to make my own rock following these directions DIY Cement Live Rock. How many lbs of actually live rock do i need to seed this base rock. I was thinking like 150 lbs of base rock and 30 lbs of live rock. I will also be getting some live sand. And for the curing of the base rock do you just set it into the tap water until the pH becomes stable?

If you're not confident in drilling the tank, then you need an overflow box. Once you get that, then the rest is easy.

As far as the rock is concerned, I don't have any experience in manmade rock, but I would check around on craigslist, I'd bet that with some searching and a little patience you'll be able to get all the rock you need very inexpensive. Probably less than it would cost to make your own rock and less headache too. And it will look natural.

I used the same video to make my sump. These are good directions IMO.

I also have one more question... how is the noise in everyone's tank? And what would be some effective ways in reducing the noise?

Hello! I have a 90 gallon tank myself. If you are on a budget, your best option for lights are the 6-bulb (48") Current Nova Extreme Pros. Those will allow you to keep anything you want.

Don't destroy your stand to fit a bigger sump in. It should be able to accommodate something larger than a 10 gallon tank. This place that you are moving into -- do you own it? If so, put the tank on a wall where there is a closet behind it. Plumb that sucker right through the wall like I did with my tank! Then you have an entire closet to put your equipment in.

A 29g. long should fit without any modifications to the stand.

Go for a T5-HO lighting with at least 6 bulbs and individual reflectors.Price vary but check thes out.

Current Nova Pros
Aquactinic Constellation
ATI Powermodules and Sunpower
Aquatic Life
Tek and Tek Elites

I think a 10G sump/fuge will be fine. I have 2 tanks and both have a fuge 10% the size of the main tank and everything is fine.

Also, I don't know where you live. But I've picked up lots of rock (dead coral skeletons) off beaches, cured it myself and it worked absolutely fine. LR is pricey and I've saved a ton by getting some of my rock this way.

Back