My poor hammer coral

BL1

This is what it looked like this weekend
DSCN0547.jpg

Then yesterday ...
DSCN0791.jpg

And now today ...
DSCN0793.jpg

I can't imagine what cause this and what happened, every other coral including my frogspawn have never looked better. My water's good too
Sal - 1.025
amm - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
pH - 7.8

That is brown jelly disease. It affects only LPS corals and is contagious -- so get the skeleton out. Once it starts, it's extremely difficult to reverse the damage. By the time you notice it, the coral is already gone -- as you witnessed. It moves very quickly!

No one is really sure why some corals get brown jelly disease. Sometimes it starts from a physical injury of the coral -- like it being bumped or dropped. Sometimes it just shows up on corals that were perfectly healthy.

It sucks... Sorry about your hammer. It sure was pretty.

Im sorry for your loss hammers are my favorite... If you notice it some way before it dies can you do anything for it?

If you start to see it die, you can frag off the infected area and do an iodine dip and the rest of the coral. In some cases, that saves the part of the coral that is left. But it doesn't always work.

Hey Biff, my blue waving hand coral is all shriveled up and not looking good, this isn't because of that brown jelly disease, is it?

Back