my poor tank

Novalee

Reefing newb
Hi there, I really need some advice and help. I'm sure to you guys I'm going to sound like I completely don't know what I'm doing and it certainly feels like it to me. :) I've had a 75 gal saltwater tank now for about 2 years now. I have always loved the ocean and had always wanted a saltwater tank but had been discouraged due to costs, time etc. So finally a friend help me get it started. We would travel about 2 hours every other weekend and started purchasing live rock and adding it slowly. There are just not any stores that specialize in saltwater fish or supplies near me at all, they are all about 2 hours away. It was going well at first. Little did I know that water changes were so important and was not told that so you can imagine. After a while everything I bought for the reef died. At first it was beautiful, but never lasted more than a couple months or so. Same with the fish. I have a protein skimmer in the bottom. After about 8 or so months it just sat there looking pitiful. Then I found a couple that locally went around to dr.'s office etc and would maintain their tanks. I asked them to help me with mine. The began coming about once a month and making water changes etc. The pink coral etc. began to come back on the rocks with the water changes. But I watched them wheel that 55 gallon bucket around, siphoning out the water, then putting it back into the bucket, adding salt and declorinator, slapping it back into the tank and charging about $100 a pop. Is this the only way to do it with that huge bucket? I'm not sure I could handle that thing. Anyway, I have only two sets of strip lighting which I know is nothing. I expressed the desire to the experts who were tending it to have more lighting since I had been reading up on it and knew it was required for certain corals, etc. They discouraged me from doing so saying I didn't really need it, my tank could still look good with low lighting reef polyps etc. And besides they said, higher lighting would only make algae grow faster. Mostly they talked about their kids, cats and dogs while here, not the tank, lol. Most of what they brought me died before long. Then they began lagging in visits and wouldn't show for over a month sometimes. I finally stopped calling them and figured I was waisting my money. Anyway, my tank sits here, I don't want to give it up, I have the time to put into it and some money. The ocean has always been a passion and to have a little piece in my home would be heaven. I have a coral beauty, a cleaner shrimp and some live rock, about half a tank full, but the pink sponge is dying off slowly. Can you guys give me some guidance to get started again? Thank you.

Hi and welcome. Good lighting is extremely important. I'm guessing insufficient lighting (in addition to poor water quality) is why your corals have died. Strip lighting is definitely not enough to keep corals alive. And yes, more lighting may lead to more algae, but if your water quality is good (low nitrates, low phosphates) you won't have algae.

It is much easier to make water yourself and do the water changes yourself. You should only use reverse osmosis water (which you can buy at any grocery store or Walmart) and mix in the salt yourself.

If you give us some specifics (exactly what kind of equipment you're running, what your water parameters are such as salinity, temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, pH and alkalinity) we can help you more. If you don't have a test kit to measure these things, I think that's the first thing you should do, is go out and buy some test kits.

First of all what are yur water perimeters?That will give us a better idea of how to help you.
For your water changes just get yourself a food grade 5 gallon bucket and a good strong power head.You can mix your own water a whole cheaper than those folks are charging you.
I would start doing at least a 5 gallon change once a week maybe more untill the ammonia was at 0,nitrite at 0 and nitrate at least under 10.
If your going to keep corals,then by all means invest in a good set of lights,I suggest the nova extreme t-5s with at least 432 watts.Corals MUST have the light to live and grow.The lights will make algea grow untill your phosphates and nitrates are in check.
Maybe this will help some,but please post your readings for-
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
PH
phosphate
alkilinty
and last but not least -salinity
That will give everybody a better idea of your situation.And be sure to ask any and all questions you think of.

Ok, yes I have test kits. I usually do not have much if any nitrates in my tank. But I will test all that again and get back with you. I filter my water with a tap water purifier made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc., but I think it's all used up by now, it is very dark in color. I didn't know you could buy reverse osmosis water at the grocery store. I will check it out. I use a protein skimmer. I also have this very odd long shaped box inside the tank in the corner, with little ball filters inside, I can't remember what he called it. The company that was cleaning it recently said they'd never seen anything like it, but the guy who initally helped me set up the tank with the skimmer etc told me it was a nitrate filter I believe and they said leave it, it seemed to be working. It will have white stuff growing out of the cracks etc. which is supposed to be normal. On my hydrometer, my salt if perfect, right at 29 or 1.021. I'm guessing the temp stays around 75 degrees in my home. I do not have a heater currently in the tank. Do I need one? I will get back with you on the nitrates etc. Thanks for your help. :)

Hmmm that doesn't sound like a skimmer to me. You should have a heater, you want to avoid temperature swings in your tank. It's a good idea to keep the tank within 4 degrees at all times.

Temp should be set at 78 degrees. salinity should not be 1.023 to 1.025. you need to check your ph, alkalinity/hardness, calcium, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, phosphates, silica, iodine/iodide. Also check out the helpful articles. there you will find answers to a lot of your questions. post your water parameters back here and we can help you with that part of it.

Back