My shark died :(

nitrosport

Reefing newb
Hello everyone

My shark hatched in my tank about a month ago. He has been swimming around and eating normally. He died suddenly this morning. :( He was such an awsome shark. What could have gone wrong? My water is perfect and all of my fish are healthy and eating. He also had no signs of injury on his body.

Last edited:
Unfortunantly, sharks are considered expert only creatures. And if it just hatched, there is no knowing what could have caused it to die.

Sorry to hear about the loss

Sorry for the loss. I have heard that the survival rate for sharks in captivity, when hatching is pretty low though I cannot say why...

Awww sorry to hear!! If all your params were fine, I wouldn't stress about what caused the death since from what some of the others have said, they are very hard to care for.

Hey!
Sorry to hear about your shark :( mine sadly went down teh same path (altho i had a temp spike in my tank thanks to my faulty heater) typically they don't survive that long in captivity... some sharks don't develop properly and sometimes they just aren't meant for survivial, i think its a bit harder in our tanks too because it isn't a natural area for them.... the sharks in the hobby are typically mangrove pups until they are large enough to fend for themselves, you could always try getting a shark from someone who has them live already (i know twins aquarium in stockon, ca has some nice ones who eat :)) and will ship them to ya

Should probably look at getting a bigger tank before ordering any live ones. They really need more swimming space than 150g. At least for the long term...

I really am sorry about your loss. I also agree that they need a bigger tank but also they are for experts only. IMO they should be left in the ocean where they belong.

doesn't everything in this hobby belong in the ocean? :) I'm all for keeping varied livestock, just get the right tank and equipment so they can be healthy.

doesn't everything in this hobby belong in the ocean? :) I'm all for keeping varied livestock, just get the right tank and equipment so they can be healthy.

Even though I do understand what you are saying there is another factor that goes into keeping these animals and that`s experience. The right size tank and equipment is not enough. When places like Liveaquaria talk about care of these animals they dont say For experts only with right size tank and equipment. They say "for experts only". Experience with these fish is the main factor. Yes right size tank and equipment is important also but without the expert only part not enough. Not trying to be argumentitive just wanted to explain what I meant when I said best left in the ocean.

Even though I do understand what you are saying there is another factor that goes into keeping these animals and that`s experience. The right size tank and equipment is not enough. When places like Liveaquaria talk about care of these animals they dont say For experts only with right size tank and equipment. They say "for experts only". Experience with these fish is the main factor. Yes right size tank and equipment is important also but without the expert only part not enough. Not trying to be argumentitive just wanted to explain what I meant when I said best left in the ocean.
You know as I typed that, I was thinking of editing it to say the same thing. Right tank, equipment, and knowledge to keep the animal. I would assume that if you have the knowledge and experience, then you would have the right tank and equipment before even trying to keep them. I just spoke up because I plan to keep sharks one day and it struck a chord, but I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough yet to have them, so I don't... I hope I didn't offend with my last post. I meant no disrespect.

You did not disrespect me. I totally understand. You are a very knowledgable person so I respect your opinion. It gave me a chance to explain myself since I was so vague in my original post.

Back