My Sump is Baffling me!!

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
The 90g tank I purchased came with a sump system - after searching online, I think it is probably an earlier version of this (mine has white/clear dividers instead of black): [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ProClear-Aquatics-Premier-without-Prefilter/dp/B00061UXI2/ref=sr_1_21?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1326822484&sr=1-21"]Amazon.com: ProClear Aquatics Premier 125 Wet Dry Filter without Prefilter: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Mine came with the bio balls (which I don't plan to use), the the return hose, the HOB overflow, and the tube that connects the overflow to the sump (the grey hose that's pictured). The guy I bought it from also gave me a new return pump (never used), but its rated for 750gph, which I think is a much higher flow than the flow coming from the HOB overflow.

I have also purchased a skimmer (Reef Octopus Extreme SX 200 Protein Skimmer by CoralVue - AquaCave) that I want to add to the sump, but I have no idea where to add it. I am at a complete loss as to where to put the skimmer and how to get the rest of it set up!

My hunch is that I need to somehow set it up so that the water from the HOB overflow goes to a container housing the skimmer, and then thinking the water returned from the skimmer should go through a hose connected to the part of sump that would normally be connected to the hose coming from the HOB overflow, and then have the return pump in the open part of the sump to send water back up to my tank. Am I on the right track? If so, what materials do I need to get to do the modifcation to attach the skimmer before the sump? How do I regulate the flow between the various sections (HOB to skimmer, skimmer to sump, return pump to tank) so that I don't get a flood in one part of the system?

If I also wanted to make the open part of the sump into a refugim, should I then put live rock/rubble where the bio balls are now? Or do those go in the open part of the sump? If I want to culture brine shrimp or mysis shrimp, can I do that in this sump, or do I have to set up a totally different refugim system separate from the sump to do that?

I read about how others have set up their systems or made their own sumps/refugims, but then I look at the one I have and have no clue where to start!! Thank you all!! (I'm hoping to post pictures soon, but my camera battery recharger is MIA right now and I can't find it anywhere!)

Thanks!!!

The skimmer goes in the sump and you need a bigger return pump cuz youre pushing water up and you llse gph there. The fuge should work in there, just use live rock and sand and put a light over it.

The skimmer goes in the sump and you need a bigger return pump cuz youre pushing water up and you llse gph there. The fuge should work in there, just use live rock and sand and put a light over it.

Do I put it in the open part of the sump to skim the water after it has gone through the bio balls section of the sump? I am not sure I understand, because if I put it there, it would just be dumping skimmed water back in with the same unskimmed water and all would go up through the return pump skimmed or not. I'm also not sure that my skimmer is going to fit in that section of the sump, its footprint might be too big (it arrives tonight so I can check it then)

We dint like bioballs, i would put your skimmer there and then the fuge in the second chamber. I think theres a way to avoid dumping it back to unskimmed water, but I dont have a sump myself...

Yup, I don't intend to use the bio balls, but they are housed in an area of the sump that the skimmer will not fit in (take a look at the picture on the link I posted). So I still need to figure out how to configure this particular sump for use with the skimmer I have. Pictures of both are linked to above.

Thanks!

Nice equipment! Im not sure about placement, though...Ill ask, read, or maybe someone else on here knows. It just looks like an odd sump...

I got a freebie sump similar to that with the purchase of my 90 gallon tank. I just decided to scrap it and make a DIY sump out of 2 10 gallon tanks. Skimmer is going into the first one, and I'm using u tube connectors to connect it to the next tank that will have a refugium and the return pump area. Good luck!

Well, after reading what you guys had to say, I went to Petco last night and picked up a 10g tank from their $1/g sale. Havent' decided yet whether to put the skimmer in this tank and then route it to my existing sump and make a refugim in the existing sump, or put the skimmer in the existing sump and route the clean water into the new 10g tank for the refugim. Looks like I better start doing my DIY homework!

Back