My tank

Becca

Reefing newb
This is my 29gal Biocube, I add more live rock after this picture was taken.
I have 21 1/2lb of live rock, 10lb of live sand, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, 2 clowns & 1 anemone.
What do ya think, look okay so far?

Tank.jpg

Looks nice. I love the open swim area, lots of room for grow out. Be careful with that anenome they can be difficult to keep, itll probably move from where you want it too.

It already has moved, he went under the rocks of course so now I can't see him at all.
I am not sure what to do about that, how am I supposed to feed him under there?

Nice tank Becca. I love the simplicity and open water of your design. Makes me want one of those cube tanks myself.

Looks good Becca.
Just leave the anemone alone for now.It'll eventually come back out on its own.Trying to force it out will only stress it.

Anemones will sometimes crawl in a cave to die. If that happens, all your other animals are at risk. I'd wait a few days before moving stuff around and trying to get it out. Like Yote said, that will stress it. Can you tell if it's still alive? Watch your water parameters.

Everything looks really good. I have the same type of sand in my nano.

Becca sent me a PM of some slime that was coming out of her nem, I told her to post a pic because I didnt feel like I was qualified to give her a definative answer. Lets see If I can transfer it here.
0325081450b.jpg

Nice looking tank Becca...I have seen that slime before in my old tank, I pulled it out with a net the best I could and everything was fine. In that same breath, I have seen it in a fish store and the anemone looked really bad, kind of a melting/ falling apart look. I would personally take the slime out and keep a close eye on the anemone and your water paramaters.

That could be the anemone expelling waste or expelling zooxanthellae. That tank looks aweful clean and new. How long has it been set up and what kind of lights do you have?

I set the tank up on friday. I am not sure what kind of light it has but its two white lights and two blue light (they came with the biocube)
When I got home last night the nome looked really bad, so I moved the rock he was under and he was dead.
I took him out and back to the LFS. I talk to the owner (Mike) there and told him I just set the tank up friday and that one of the people that worked there told me I could get the nome it would be fine even thought my tank was new. He told me I should have not listened to that guy and should wait about 8 months or so before I put an nome in. Anyway he gave me a credit for the nome and I got some snails and hermit crabs.
My amona level went up a little so I also got some stuff called TLC to help keep it down.
This morning all was fine with the levels.
I would like to thank all of you for your help and I will keep you updated with the progress of my tank.

Becca

Sorry to hear about your loss. Atleast it didn't take anything with it when it dies. Also sounds like a pretty descent LFS you got, atleast the owner, nice of him to give you store credit.

I set the tank up on friday. I am not sure what kind of light it has but its two white lights and two blue light (they came with the biocube)
When I got home last night the nome looked really bad, so I moved the rock he was under and he was dead.
I took him out and back to the LFS. I talk to the owner (Mike) there and told him I just set the tank up friday and that one of the people that worked there told me I could get the nome it would be fine even thought my tank was new. He told me I should have not listened to that guy and should wait about 8 months or so before I put an nome in. Anyway he gave me a credit for the nome and I got some snails and hermit crabs.
My amona level went up a little so I also got some stuff called TLC to help keep it down.
This morning all was fine with the levels.
I would like to thank all of you for your help and I will keep you updated with the progress of my tank.

Becca

Did you cycle the tank?

Yep, anemones should not be added to new tanks. They just do not survive unless they are in a very stable, established tank. They are one of the most difficult animals to keep alive. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I am sorry for your loss I recently lost two clowns myself. It is not a pleasent feeling, but we got to learn from our mistakes you will see you will accomplish a great looking reef and healthy in time

Back