My thoughts on Acans

BigH55

I'm that guy
i bought another acan frag and put it into my frag tank tonight. So far im thinking these corals act like a sun coral because:
1. They require little flow
2. They seem to do well under any light. I have mine under 96w PC lights. But, my tank is only 6" deep.
3. they extend there feeders at night. I looked at mine with a flashlight and it was so open that it looked like a Duncan Coral.

Its wierd i put my other frag inthere which ive had for about 4 weeks and it puffs up during the day, but it doesn't extend its feeder tentacles. I have fed it but the food doesnt seem to stick to it like the new one. Hopefully it is doing okay. Do some acans act differently than other?

have some that at night look like nothing but feeder tentacles and then some look like an empty rock, just the way the colony acts i guess

Same here. Its wierd. My new one loves mysis shrimp. I cant stop feeding it. I want it to grow so i can frag it soon. Right now it has about 8 big heads. How do they grow?

i have this one frag that came to me as a freebie with one and a half heads about 5 months ago and its now up to about 9 and i have never fed it so if you feed regularly then it should grow faster

i have this one frag that came to me as a freebie with one and a half heads about 5 months ago and its now up to about 9 and i have never fed it so if you feed regularly then it should grow faster

If you look closely in-between the large heads and around the parameter, there will be lots of little heads.

Mine started with 6 large heads, and now I have close to 15 large and small heads within 3 months.

I only spot feed mine once a week.

I know a guy who feeds his acans every couple days. He thaws out mysis, and uses tweezers to hand feet each mouth individually. hahah

They grew so fast he has since stopped because it started taking too long :P

Back