My yellow tang Pootie.

Briesus

Reefing newb
So I posted an introductory thread yesterday and in it explained that my tang had developed ich.

I got kick ich and put it in yesterday, and today he is bright as ever without one speck of parasitic annoyance on him. I know I must continue the treatment, but is that a good sign? I am assuming yes.

Also, my ammonia levels, which I thought were a little high, are at zero and have been all day...I've been checking it compulsively. I stopped using the amquel yesterday when I put in the Kick Ich. Things seem to be pretty ok, but I know that really doesn't mean a lot.

Anyway. Upon finishing the ich treatment and doing a water change, I am looking in to getting another fish. I am not quite sure what I want, though. I need something that is compatible with my snowflake and my tang. My fish all seem to be getting along fine, except for blue man group. (my 3 blue damsels) the 2 bigger ones beat up on the smaller 3rd one quite frequently, but they have stopped for the time being. Why are damsels so mean?

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know! And if you have any further advice on the ich situation, that would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Damsels are awful fish and usually end up killing each other and any other fish they can get their fins on.

If I remember from your other post, you already have a lot of fish, right? For a 75 gallon tank, you can plan on keeping maybe 8 fish by the time you are maxed out for space. I recommend trying to catch the damsels and take them back to the store, since they are mean, you don't like them anyways, and they are just taking up space in your tank. Then you can add something that you want instead.

Also, the ich medication you are using is not going to kill the ich. It may suppress the outbreak, but the only two treatments for ich that are 100% effective are copper and hyposalinity, both would require you quarantining all your fish and treating them all. With the kick ich, ich will still be in your tank, and your fish will still be infected with it, but not showing symptoms. Chances are, when you stop the kick ich, the ich will come back.

I don't recommend treating ich unless the fish stops eating. As long as they are eating and acting normal, they normally can fight the parasite off themselves. Ich usually only manifests itself when the fish are stressed. I'm guessing your elevated ammonia levels stressed the fish and weakened its immune system enough that the ich was able to take ahold. If it's in your tank, all your fish have it, so continue the kick ich if you want, but it definitely isn't killing the ich or eradicating it from your tank.

Thank you! I have a tang, an eel, 4 damsels, and a clarkii. The damsels were supposed to be a temporary fixture, thinking the eel would eat them, but he never did. I think he's too lazy and maybe not big enough yet...But he's about 13 inches and he's a chubby little man.

So I shouldn't bother quarantining anything? I was going to buy a smaller tank for a quarantine tank this week...but I know it will take a while to set up. How long does it usually take a fish to fight off infection? And if you are suggesting it doesn't matter if I continue the kick ich or not, do you think I should just stop the treatment?

Thanks a lot!

It's pointless to quarantine the fish and treat for ich unless you quarantine and treat them all. As long as the fish are eating, I suggest leaving them in the display tank.

As for stopping the kick ich treatment, you say it appears to be working for you and helping out, so I'd follow the directions on the bottle and continue until the instructions tell you to stop.

Back