my40 PICTURE HEAVY

godeeporgohome123

Reefing newb
Well im far from done but its came a long way pretty quick and fairly cheap... Anyways this is it...
0502091715.jpg

0501091834.jpg

I made the sump out of a 20 Gal. long...its made up of three sections, skimmer,live rock and return pump..i also have one baffle..I still need a overflow and skimmer and rock..Right now for my over flow i am just using some flexibal tubing and a old intake tube from a HOB i had sitting around..using a syphion to move water into the sump.. this is just temporary!
0502091706.jpg

The tube on the right is the syphion pulling water in..
Please forgive me for the duct tape this was hooked up yesterday and still needs some final things...

All the plumbing is 3/4 pvc pipe.. i also put in a stop valve right after my return pump,which turned out to be a great idea cuz without it my pump would be to powerful for my water flow. The stop valve helped me match my outgoing water with my incoming water..The pump is a "QuietOne"2200 it runs at 580 gph..
0502091706a.jpg

0502091708.jpg

my return line which is secured to the wall, is a T with each end dumping water out into the tank at both back corners I also have 2 penguin 550 power heads running in the back corners...For lighting i also made my own fixture..i am running one 24 inch coral sun which is actinic 420 along with another 24 inch reef sun which is a 50/50 not the greatest lighting but i think its okay..for the hood i just bought a cheap fixture for 10 bucks and used velcrow to attach it (since my tank had no lid) i had a piece of plexi glass cutt that fits the top leaveing a space in the front and back ...
0502091708a.jpg

i hope this maybe helped as i am a newbie myself and sometimes its hard to find information on the web about this stuff and even when you do its just plain old cofusing!! AND FOR ALL THE PROS OUT THERE LET ME KNOW WHAT IM DOING WRONG PLEASE YOU WONT HURT MY FEELINGS LOL

Last edited:
looks ok so far
the only thing i see that would concern me is the water level in your sump really looks high
if your return pump shuts off the draining water could overflow your sump

also are you using a straight on siphon tube as a drainline??
if so make sure the end in your display is only about an inch under the water, that way if you have a problem and your return pump shuts off you will only drain an inch of water and not your whole tank

looks like sump is to deep my 20 gallon long sump has 7 inch tall baffles so water will not be more than 7" to 7 1/4" deep. than you have to test it by uplugging return pump to see how much drains down into sump so you know it will hold during power outage.

im only using that till i get till i get my over flow box..and i know mysump would flood but i have a anti syphion hole so it would only drain a little...well like alot but not my whole tank... and im gunna get a check valve on my return line so water cant come back in... this tank is in my garage so if a few floods happen while im getting the kinks out its not that bad id only lose about 10 gallons tops!

Ive tried a few anti siphon valves from lowes and none of them worked for me. They slow it but there isnt enough pressure there to stop the water entirely. the only thing that works for me eveytime, is the siphon break hole...

I also suggest that you move that stop valve up so its above the top of your sump for ease of operation later.

Last edited:
Back