mystery lps

overstreetlogan

living it up
i bought this frag for the purple mushroom on it i know its a lps but i have not been able to identify it.its the orange branching under the tail of the fish.i cant get a much better pic but ill try and get another pic soon.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 394
You will need to post a picture of it with its polyps open for us to be sure. Without that, I would guess that it's a duncan. But I can't say for certain when it's closed up.

No, in that picture the polyps are not open. That is a closed coral. Just wait and give it a few days. Take a new picture when it is open.

I have said before, it is not open. It may have stayed that way for three weeks, but that's an indication that it is not happy. If it is a sun coral as others have thought, that would explain why it's closed up. Sun corals need to be placed in the shade and won't open up when they are in the light because they are non-photosynthetic. Try moving it to the bottom of the tank, in a shaded area.

Again, it is not opened. If that's how it has always been, then it is not a happy coral. Its polyps are not extended. We cannot say for sure what it is until it opens up.

You think this is what it's supposed to look like. Trust me -- it's not supposed to look like that all the time. It's not open. And we can't tell you what it is when it's closed like that. So put it in the shade and wait for it to open.

Duncan coral closed:

15042012466.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

Duncan coral opened:

duncanopsammia-1.jpg

Sun coral closed:

sun_coral.jpg

Sun coral opened:

YellowSunCoral_TubastAureaWRLps_Ap8R.jpg

See, there is a difference between polyps being opened and being closed. And we cannot tell what coral yours is until it opens.

Sun corals and dendros have orange/yellow stalks. So they are pretty easy to tell. If it's not orange/yellow (unless it's a black sun coral -- which would have a black stalk), then my best guess is blastomuss merletti or duncans. :)

Back