Mysys

cumminz

Reefing newb
What is the best way to get 1 or 2 of these out of the frozen bag? that is all my Candy coral will eat and How much will a 2" Dwarf Lion eat if I can get him to eat them? I fed him a guppy today but he only wanted 1. how hard is it to get him to eat mysys

The best way to get the mysis out is to break off a small chunk and let it thaw.You can store what you dont use in the fridge.
As for feeding the lion,try dropping the mysis right in front of him.If that dont work,then kind wiggle it right in his face.(be sure to use feeding tongs)

You can also buy mysis and krill in frozen cube form. Just pop out a cube from the tin foil and you are good to go. Mysis are pretty small in my experience. Are you referring to krill?

-Doc

No Mysys is what i am talking about. It is small, so i am wondering but i just broke off a piece and put it in a jar and is in my fridge. butI am going to feed my ghost shrimp mysys and then feed the shrimp to my lion. heard that from a local reef member sounds good to me

when you say candy coral do you mean candy cane coral? If so mine are florishing and I don't feed them directly. They just take in the light and I guess take in whatever I am feeding my fish (which usually has mysis in it)

How large is your lion fish? The fishmust be appropriate to the size of the fish. They are pretty much gluttens abd will go for larger food more than smaller. Lots of tthe time they will almost totally ignore small food. They are typically one of the easiest predators to convert over to dead food. I have even fed them King Crab meat which is quite stringy. Usually if it smells lake food and is moving they will eat it. Meaning if it falls all the way to the bottom of the tank do not expect them to pick it up off the bottom. Some people use a piece of thead with a knot tied in the end. Just stick the thread throw a piece of shrimp or scallop (with a sewing needle) and pull the thread through to the knot. The Lion fish will take it off the string as the knot will provide little resistance. Just play the line like you were using it as bait to catch the lion fish. It is not surprisng to see them try to eat something half their body size. Lots of lion fish can be seen swimming around with a tail hanging out of their mouths for quite aw while before being able to fully swallow something they engulfed/sucked in.

Last edited:
or do what doc did in a video and put the food in front of your water return pipes by your overflows and let that shoot your food across the tank

or do what doc did in a video and put the food in front of your water return pipes by your overflows and let that shoot your food across the tank
:bounce: Depends on the returns, some returns run by some people would barely move the food. I assume you mean the returns and not the overflows, overflows suck and returns blow.
:^:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, made my raised reef today cuz i am getting bored in the summer already. looking good and im picking up a ray on friday. Im so excited

it is a 40 I believe. I am moving soon so i am not to worried about him. i am also gonna buy a ray tank hopefully dimensions are..3 ftx 4ftx 15 inches tall.

Back